Acoustics and Audio Systems Engineer Ref. 655
Welcome package £2,500*
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Do you want a better work life balance? Want to use your knowledge to propose new audio solutions for users? Want to do something which makes a difference in the UK and around the globe?
You’ll use your acoustics and audio knowledge to review existing solutions and provide recommendations for their adoption. And if you spot something that could be improved, you’ll lead the way on implementing this too.
No two days will be the same for you; you’ll tackle applied research, design work and consultancy to internal and external customers. You’ll carry out an interesting mix of theoretical, practical, experimental and innovative work and develop technologies to meet the needs of your customers.
You’ll bring your enthusiasm and knowledge of acoustics and audio systems into a team of engineers with similar areas of expertise. Your role within the team will provide opportunities for challenging your analytical and communication skills, through stakeholder engagement activities such as customer discovery and requirements capture.
More About You
You will already have:
• A degree or equivalent experience in audio, acoustics, physics or a degree in a related discipline
• Experience in at least one of the following areas: electroacoustic transducers, audio electronics or audio and speech processing
• Practical knowledge of subjective testing and a demonstrable understanding of psychoacoustics
You will also have one or more of the following:
• Ability to work with Python or MATLAB or similar mathematical modelling tools
• An IoA Diploma or other post-graduate qualification in audio and/or acoustics
• Hands-on practical experience with audio test or pro-audio equipment
• Practical experience applying Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence to Acoustics related problems
• Experience of working in a product development environment
• A methodical approach to problem solving
• Familiarity with methodologies such as Systems Thinking or Agile
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
• Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills
• Is enthused by working with other capable engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results (Working with others)
• Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard (Planning and Delivery)
• Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention (Strategic Thinking, Problem Solving and judgement)
• Can manage your own workload and is able to adapt to changing demands on your time (Planning and Delivery)
• Has excellent communication skills. You enjoy sharing your knowledge and can present convincingly to technical and non-technical audiences (Communicating and Influencing)
• Recognises good performance and encourages people to build on their strengths (Leadership and People Management)
• Puts mechanisms and processes in place to make improvements (Learning and Change)
• Works with customers to establish clear desired outcomes and expectations (Customer Orientation)
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the acoustics and audio team, you will:
• Elicit requirements from end users and propose solutions that are fit for purpose
• Evaluate third party solutions and make recommendations for their adoption or improvement
• Keep up to date with the latest academic research and pull through relevant research into customer solutions
• Propose, steer and undertake applied research projects
• Share results and progress with the wider team using written or verbal communication
• Maintain your acoustics knowledge and undertake continuous professional development in line with your own, and HMGCC’s needs
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
• Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classis cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
HMGCC protects national security at home and overseas. You will play an integral part in ensuing that the Government’s communications systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. You will join an inclusive environment that will give you all the tools, support and training to develop and be the best that you can be. To find out more, please click here.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Discover more and apply here. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.