Experienced Network Engineer Ref. 504
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Network Engineer to join our team . This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of a growing development team to deliver the networking components of mission critical systems.
As a core member of the team you'll get to design, develop, test, deploy and maintain network solutions that solve real, and often unique, technical problems. As an experienced Network Engineer you'll be expected to work both independently and collaboratively, but always with support when needed.
Our work is hugely varied, with projects lasting a couple of weeks through to a few years and using a variety of technology stacks. We need innovative and passionate people to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward.
We need you to already have:
- The ability to design, develop and test network infrastructure
- An in-depth understanding of IP routing, TCP, UDP and secure protocols such as SSH and TLS
- Direct experience of Cisco switching and routing
- Applied knowledge of securing network environments, supported by a good understanding of associated techniques and technologies
- Familiarity with common High Availability designs and protocols The following are desirable and would strengthen your application :
- Experience of using Linux and networking related toolsets
- Working knowledge of the Internet and core concepts for modern service delivery
- Experience of deploying and configuring software firewalls
To work as a Network Engineer you will be the type of person who:
- Is able to think about multiple ways to solve a problem and then quickly decide on the best course of action, with minimal supervision
- Knows that it is more important to communicate about delays early and get help, than try to solve a problem on your own
- Has good time management, including prioritising work and providing realistic estimates
- Is able to foresee when an issue will affect customers, and communicate this to them early
- Can present your reasoning constructively and persuasively and ensures that your reasoning is documented
- Always delivers their best as part of a team and enjoys being the 'go to' person for a topic, as well as knowing who to consult when a problem is out of your area of expertise
- Likes to deliver projects that strike the right balance between solving the customers ' needs, being the best technical solution and meeting the needs of our organisation
- Wants to continue to develop their professional skills, gain a breadth of knowledge of our products, and develop an expertise in a particular area
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Design, develop and document solutions to the highest standards
- Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing reviews of other's work
- Transition products to operations,validating performance against requirements
- Oversee the product through its life, keeping abreast of relevant technologies I trends and manage the product roadmap
- Forge and maintain good relationships with partners and suppliers
- Provide product support and investigate reported defectsContribute to project planning and meetings
- Supervise or mentor less experienced engineers
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best
that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.