Part-Time Software Technical Leads (Senior / Principal) Ref. 312
HMGCC is developing products of increasing complexity in areas including custom telecoms infrastructure, enterprise level servers, enterprise level messaging, secure mobile messaging, and bespoke secure communications solutions. These world class communication systems are used by the British Government, and for reasons you'll understand once you've joined us, you haven't heard about them.
This increasing complexity has led to us establishing a group of engineering specialists in technical team leadership and systems engineering. We are now looking to recruit into a number of different roles within the group, as demand is outstripping supply. We are looking for technical people who are comfortable providing technical leadership throughout the full product development lifecycle, and also have opportunities to specialise in specific areas such as requirements management, solution identificat ion, architectural design, or technical leadership of engineering project teams.
As your career progresses you will be responsible for the technical delivery of a range of increasingly challenging projects and programmes for HMGCC, and will provide guidance to more junior technical leads. Typically, our technical leads will work alongside project managers who are responsible for financial and delivery aspects of our projects and programmes.
We would need you to already have:
• Demonstrable experience in delivering software projects where your role has been to understand the technical elements of the solution, have liaised with customers and ideally have managed a development team.
• Experience of technically managing software projects involving a range of technologies related to Windows, Linux and Mac. For example, server-client architecture, database, Cloud-technologies, networking and software application development.
• A practical understanding of principles and techniques used in shaping and managing the technical aspects of engineering projects, and experience in tailoring development processes for the more complex projects.
• Experience of managing customer/ stakeholder relationships.
• Experience of at least two and ideally four of the following aspects of technical leadership and systems engineering:-
o Eliciting,managing,and constructively challenging customer requirements.
o Solution concept generation, analysis, and trade-off.
o Architectural design covering software and where required hardware solutions to meet customer requirements.
o Technical leadership of a team of a multi-discipline team of engineers working on multiple technologies.
o Managing technical risks affecting the project delivery.
o Working with sub-contractors.
o Ensuring appropriate technical design and development documentation is produced by the development team.
o Direction and oversight of engineering project integration, verification and validation activities.
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have experience in some of the following:
• Experience of hardware projects or programmes involving diverse areas of cutting edge technology - for example, hardware development projects requiring mechanical, electronics, firmware and software design.
• Security engineering or information assurance, including threat modelling and preparation of system accreditation evidence .
• Working in engineering sectors such as telecoms,defence, rail, ICT, or software.
• Using modelling tools, languages, and frameworks to support and communicate your work.
• Line management or experience of providing performance feedback.
To work as a Technical Lead you will be the type of person who:
• Is skilled at discerning what is really at the root of a problem and how to solve it.
• Knows the value of understanding the environment where a product will work, and how all its different elements need to come together.
• Is adept at establishing all the building blocks for progress, establishing the end to end lifecycle of a project.
• Applies rigour in your approach, paying close attention to matching the requirement to the right solution.
• Takes pride in being the 'go to person', establishing your credibility equally with technical peers and non-technical end users.
• Enjoys working with a range of experts, knowing when to draw on their expertise to help you deliver project requirements.
• Relishes the opportunity to manage complex customer requirements, leading to in-depth discussions to find out what they really need.
• Feels confident with uncertainty, helping others to reduce and manage ambiguity around potential ways forward.
• Personally enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with latest technologies.
• Values the opportunity of leading others to the right outcome, being able to manage any tensions between the end user and engineering worlds.
• Is able to communicate complex technical information clearly to non-technical people.
Putting Your Skills to Use
You will contribute to technology and engineering projects and programmes in some of the following ways:
• Identifying key stakeholders, building and managing stakeholder relationships.
• Interpreting and tailoring HMGCC's engineering framework to best serve the project and where appropriate the programme.
• Capturing and managing requirements.
• Generating solution concepts, and leading the trade-off analysis to determine the most appropriate solution.
• Developing the system architecture to enable detailed design and implementation by the project team.
• Defining the integration, verification, and validation strategies.
• Communicating the system concept to the project team and stakeholders, managing expectations throughout the project.
• Identifying, analysing, and mitigating project/ programme risks from an engineering perspective.
• Assessing the engineering impact of change requests.
• Directing and supervising the work of engineers from multiple technical disciplines.
• Providing guidance and advice to more junior technical leads.
• Being accountable for the technical success of the projects and programmes you lead.
You will play a pivotal role on our most demanding projects and programmes, ensuring that the UK Government's most specialist communication systems both at home and abroad continue to stay one step ahead. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in, and give you the tools and training to be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how truly unique we are as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.