Java Software Developer Ref. 568
Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you’ll ever work – we’ll invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on-the-job training.
You and your team will work on software solutions that solve real, and often unique, technical problems. As an Experienced Software Developer, you’ll be expected to deliver work packages both independently and collaboratively, but always with support when needed. You’ll be able to pick up new technology knowledge and work in an agile approach with your team. You may also take on the responsibility of mentoring or coaching other engineers.
Our work is hugely varied, and our project time scales range from a couple of weeks to a few years. You’ll be working across a variety of technology stacks and approaches, so we need adaptable and passionate people to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward. At HMGCC you’ll see how your work can really make a difference.
We need you to already be able to:
• Design, develop and test software in Java
• Develop for Windows or Linux
• Exercise your knowledge of Networking and Communications (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, Protocol Buffers, application of encryption and compression)
• Understand and intelligently debug both existing and new software
• Deliver modules of substantial software systems unaided
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
• Experience of other programming languages
• Provision and configuration of containerisation and virtualisation technologies, such as Packer, Terraform, Vagrant, Puppet, Razor and Docker
• Reasoning about the performance of different data structures and algorithms
• Scripting skills using Python, PowerShell or Bash
• Experience of TDD / Agile / Scrum
• Experience of Unit Testing and Static Analysis
• Experience of Continuous Integration and Delivery pipeline supporting technologies
Putting your skills to use
What makes HMGCC different is that you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the whole process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. We’ll give you the opportunity to be creative, working in your own way, as long as you deliver. We ask that in return you have a willingness to learn and to take on responsibility.
1. Design, develop and document software to the highest standards
2. Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews
3. Provide product support and investigate reported defects
4. Contribute to project planning and meetings
You’ll need to submit a short application form and complete an online programming test. This will assess your problem solving, debugging and diagnostics skills. If successful, you will be invited to interview.
Interviews are held in two rounds. Your first will be a technical interview; if you are successful at this stage, you will be invited back for an HR and Occupational Psychologist interview.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
* If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
(Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.)
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.