Associate Server Engineer Ref. 495
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an entry level Server Support Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The Server Team provide support for corporate ICT servers and associated infrastructure to best use and integrate ICT infrastructure more effectively. Part of a growing team, this role provides 2nd and 3rd line technical support depending on skill-set. Engineers will be involved in incident & problem resolution, assisting with change programmes, upgrades and new system installations. The role holder will work to agreed SLAs in support of business and ICT service continuity & disaster recovery.
We would need you to already have:
• Working knowledge of IT environments including:
o Windows Server operating systems
o Active Directory and Group policy administration
o Fundamentals of TCP/IP networking
• Proven experience of customer service in a technical environment.
• Familiarity with PC/Server hardware and peripherals.
• Knowledge of ICT software security and Anti-Virus measures.
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• Virtualised environments (VMWare)
• Experience working with formal design and build documentation.
• Experience using Microsoft SQL / MS Exchange
• Experience of a variety of vendor/manufacturer hardware and software solutions.
• Experience in software configuration/functionality/testing and deployment.
• Linux administration
• ITIL best practice.
To work as a Server Engineer you will be the type of person who:
• Sets an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism. Inspire others by your own commitment.
• Thinks through issues logically and find appropriate solutions. Know when to refer issues to others, and draw on expertise.
• Is able to plan and adjust priorities in an environment where changes are common
• Explains information in a clear and logical way. Listen and take account of other people's views.
• Creates and encourage positive working relationships.
• Promotes new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
• Encourages and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
1. Contribute to the maximum availability of HMGCC corporate ICT systems on and off-site, identifying and assisting with the implementation of any ICT system developments.
2. Resolve challenging/complex technical issues (commensurate with your operating level) in response to service desk requests for server hardware & software problems, planned upgrades or system configuration changes. Ensure that all assigned incidents and activities are resolved within published SLA timescales.
3. Identify and report emergent trends resulting from tactical changes to ICT Server Infrastructure, highlighting areas for improvement at both tactical and longer term levels.
4. Technology, innovation and improvement of processes:
a. Maintain awareness of relevant technologies to service delivery within HMGCC and disseminate to colleagues appropriately.
b. Be involved in technology update briefings as appropriate.
c. Provide service desk operator coverage when required.
5. Forge positive working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and OGD's.
6. Work within defined and documented procedural operations.
7. Work under supervision to contribute to the support of corporate ICT servers and associated infrastructure to best use and integrate ICT infrastructure more effectively.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
*Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.