SMT Assembly Engineer Ref. 617
Full-time, this positon is for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday on a permanent basis
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a SMT Assembly Engineer to join our growing team. Here you will have the opportunity to be creative, working with the latest technology and manufacturing processing equipment.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of product assemblies. You will be turning an engineer's concept or idea into a product, creating the necessary build-to-documentation to enable manufacture. You'll use your skill and experience to solve a range of engineering challenges whilst working with a variety of engineers and customer's.
We would need you to already have:
• Experience within a surface mount assembly role where you have worked on various types of medium/small production batches utilising solder paste printing/dispensing, component placement and reflow soldering processes
• Knowledge of industrial standards and the ability to work to them consistently including local codes of practice
• Minimum of HNC in electronic engineering or equivalent
There will be a Trade Test prior to any interview to verify that you already have:
• Excellent dexterity as you will be required to work with very small components
• Ability to follow and interpret manufacturing documentation such as general assembly drawings, circuit diagrams etc.
• Knowledge of surface mount devices, package types and kitting processes
• The ability to work from limited information in a prototype environment
• Hand soldering skills
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Knowledge of industrial standards and the ability to work to them consistently; preferably trained to IPC-610 & IPC7711/ IPC7721 or equivalent
• Programming of SMT assembly equipment (ASM Dek, Mycronic Preferred)
• Worked with x-ray technology for process verification
• Programming/operation of AOI systems
• Worked in clean room conditions
• Working knowledge of Continuous improvement in the workplace
To work as an SMT Assembly Engineer you will be the type of person who:
• Likes to ensure that high standards are achieved and maintained
• Enjoys coming up with creative solutions to problems
• Likes to work on your own initiative, being able to plan ahead and manage your workload
• Can quickly adapt to unplanned changes in priorities
• Is flexible and willing to work in other areas of the business
• Have excellent communication skills; especially when working under pressure
• Enjoys working in a team and supporting each other to achieve goals
• Really wants to learn and improve their knowledge and skills
• Seeks out better and more efficient ways to complete your work
• Will continually improve how you work and makes suggestions on how to improve our processes
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your diverse range of skills within the SMT Assembly Team you will:
• Manufacture bespoke high quality components within challenging and demanding timescales
• Work closely with customers and onsite engineers to provide creative manufacturing solutions
• Work on your own initiative to resolve build issues enabling the successful product build; whilst working through all manufacturing stages as required
• Be responsible for the quality of your work and work in accordance with procedures, policies and responsibilities common across HMGCC
• Work under clean room conditions when required
• Be willing to work (paid) overtime when required and provide out of hours support on a rota basis
• Maintain good standards of housekeeping and cleanliness
• Carry out your job responsibilities with due regard to the equality and diversity principles and practices that the organisation is committed to
Recruitment and Selection Process
If you are successfully shortlisted you will be invited to a Trade Test, this will test your manual dexterity, component knowledge, and ability to interpret manufacturing documentation and instruction.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
In joining HMGCC, you will be part of a community that plays an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. You will work in a positive and creative environment where we offer all the tools and training you need to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.