Apprentice - Mechanical Manufacturing Ref. 402
Starting salary of c.£16 000
HMGCC has unique and exciting opportunities for a Mechanical Manufacturing Apprentice to join our growing team. You will have the opportunity to work with the latest technology and manufacturing equipment and you'll be working with engineers who are amongst the best in their field. You will gain a solid foundation of fabrication skills on which to build your future career.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in the whole process. You'll learn new skills and gain experience in a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers . We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and help you to develop the necessary skills to get the work done, and deliver results.
As a Mechanical Manufacturing Apprentice, you will complete a three year development programme towards an Engineering Manufacture Advanced Apprenticeship . We offer a flexible apprenticeship scheme, and your starting point within the programme will depend on your experience and qualifications.
Your Technical Skills
The minimum technical skills and qualifications we need you to already have:
• 4 GSCEs or equivalent at Grade A* to C or 9-4, including Maths, English and Science or a technical subject such as engineering or product design. Alternatively, as relevant Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship .
• A keen interest in engineering, demonstrated through hobbies or projects completed at home or college
• Good manual dexterity
We also welcome applications if you have (or are predicted to achieve) any of thefollowing additional qualifications :
• 2 A-Levels at grade A*- C in Maths and Physics, OR
• A BTEC Level 3 in Mechanical Engineering (at Merit or above),including Further Maths OR
• An equivalent Level 3 qualification in a related engineering discipline
Your Personal Skills
To work as an HMGCC apprentice you will be the type of person who:
• Behaves with integrity: you will be professional, honest and reliable
• Wants to make a difference: you will want to add value to our organisation by delivering the best possible service, even when you're faced with a challenge
• Can work in a team: you will be keen to cooperate, collaborate, support and respect your team members to ensure you understand and can achieve our goals
• Is creative: you will be passionate about technology and eager to develop your own skills and knowledge to produce accurate detailed work . You will have an aptitude for logical reasoning and problem solving
Over the course of your three year apprenticeship, your time will be split between attending a local college to complete the academic qualification of the programme and on the job training at HMGCC. This allows you to build a solid foundation of practical skills and technical knowledge. The entire apprenticeship programme is based on blended learning through classroom training, various mentored work placements and customer projects. We also fund your membership of a professional organisation such as the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Your apprenticeship programme will ensure you gain both the breadth and depth of experience you need to become a vital part of our future. We will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
On successful completion of your apprenticeship ,you will begin your career working at HMGCC as a Manufacturing Technician . We will continue to invest and develop your skills and knowledge in our organisation where the opportunities to progress are boundless if you have the potential and ambition.
During the scheme your salary will be reviewed, increasing annually, if you are performing as expected throughout the course.
This Apprenticeship Programme may be subject to some variation in light of the Government changes to Apprenticeship frameworks. If this is the case, you will be informed in writing prior to the Programme commencement.
You will complete a Work-based learning certificate - NVQ in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering Level 3 Extended Diploma (incorporating a Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations). Our flexible scheme can accommodate one of two technical qualifications depending on your start point:
• Technical certificate - BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Engineering (this route is available if you have achieved our minimum technical skills listed above) OR
• Technical certificate - BTEC Level 4 HNC in Mechanical Engineering (this route is available if you already have, or are predicted to achieve, the additional qualifications listed above)
You might also have further opportunity to continue your development towards a higher level at the end of your apprenticeship.
Here's a flavour of the types of thing you could be doing once you've achieved your apprenticeship:
The Mechanical Fabrication Team is responsible for delivery of small quantities of development, pre-production and production equipment . You will be involved in a number of mechanical fabrication techniques within our modern and well-equipped facility and you will gain experience in all fields of mechanical manufacture including traditional manual machining, CNC machining, sheet metal, injection moulding, vacuum forming and casting, surface coating, and 3D metal printing.
The Mechanical Design Teams are involved in the design of electro-mechanical products, such as compact measurement devices, specialised jigs and tools, and pneumatic and hydraulic systems . As a Mechanical Design Technician, you will support the provision of mechanical design skills and consultancy to our electronics engineers and PCB layout team. You will produce build-to documentation and work with a wide variety of product support and change control tasks. You will co-operate closely with our in-house manufacturing facility and Production Engineers to design and model suitable solutions and engineering drawings for manufacture using our 3D CAD tools.
If you already have an existing qualification at the same or higher in a similar subject, please contact us to discuss whether your application would be eligible.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit www.hmgcc.gov.uk.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.