Junior/ Graduate Software Developer Ref. 616
Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you’ll ever work - we’ll invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on-the-job training.
You and your team will work on software solutions that solve real, and often unique, technical problems. As a Junior Software Developer, you’ll be supported in your delivery of work packages both independently and collaboratively.
Our work is hugely varied, and our project time scales range from a couple of weeks to a few years. You’ll be working across a variety of technology stacks, so we need adaptable and passionate people to use the training we provide to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward. At HMGCC you’ll see how your work can really make a difference.
We need you to already:
• Have an interest in technology
• Be able to design, develop and test software in one or more of C, C++, C# or Java
• Be able to develop for one or more of Windows, Linux, macOS or Android
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
• Relevant work experience, equivalent to/ or, a 2-1 or greater relevant degree
• Scripting skills using Python, PowerShell or Bash
• Understand and debug both existing and new software
• Knowledge of Networking and Communications (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, Protocol Buffers, application of encryption and compression)
• Experience of Unit Testing and Static Analysis
• Experience of Continuous Integration and Delivery pipeline supporting technologies
Putting your skills to use
What makes HMGCC different is that you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the whole process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. We’ll give you the opportunity to be creative, working in your own way, as long as you deliver. We ask that in return you have a willingness to learn.
• Design, develop and document software to the highest standards
• Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews
• Provide product support and investigate reported defects
• Contribute to project planning and meetings
You’ll need to submit a short application form and complete an online programming test. This will assess your problem solving, debugging and diagnostics skills. If successful, you will be invited to interview.
Interviews are held in two rounds. Your first will be a technical interview; if you are successful at this stage, you will be invited back for an HR and Occupational Psychologist interview.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
In joining HMGCC, you will be part of a community that plays an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. You will work in a positive and creative environment where we offer all the tools and training you need to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our community to being a "Disability Confident Employer" we offer the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) To find out more, click the here.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.