Desktop Service Technician (Associate) Ref. 573
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Desktop Services Technician to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The Desktop Services Team provide a single point of contact for IT users and other government IT Service Desks across the UK and 1st line technical support. Technicians monitor and record all support activity, using Service Desk software and keep users up to date with progress.
Service Desk Technicians are required to work a flexible informal rota ensuring support is available between 08:00 & 17:00 (except Bank Holidays). Please note occasional overtime may be required.
We would need you to already have:
• Experience working with customers
• Experience of call logging
• Interest in ICT
• Experience installing and supporting MS-Office.
• Knowledge of PC hardware
• Experiencing installing desktop operating systems
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Have a clear and courteous telephone manner.
• Experience of working in a customer service environment
• Knowledge of ITIL best practice
• Knowledge of Anti-Virus software.
To work as a Desktop Services Technician you will be the type of person who:
• Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity professionalism and inspire others by your own commitment.
• Think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions. Know when to refer issues to others, and draw on expertise.
• Plan ahead, and manage your workload. Follow policies, processes and regulations. Pay attention to detail and be conscientious.
• Explain information in a clear and logical way. Listen and take account of other people's views.
• Create and encourage positive working relationships.
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
To provide support to the ICT solutions provided to users. The role will involve incident & problem resolution, assisting with change programmes, upgrades and new system installations. Additional responsibilities include support of workstations and peripheral devices, applying appropriate levels of release and change management. The role-holder will work to agreed SLAs in support of business and ICT service continuity & disaster recovery, adhering to the commensurate SFIA framework competency operating level. To support the Software Asset Management process, ensuring HMGCC maintains appropriate levels of legal compliance with license agreements.
1. Contribute to the support of the Desktop Services team identifying and assisting with the implementation of any necessary developments.
2. To resolve challenging/complex technical issues arising from system faults and planned upgrades or system configuration changes and testing phases.
3. To pro-actively identify and escalate service desk calls to suitably qualified technicians.
4. To maintain the software asset management application, helping to implement robust processes in line with the ITIL V3 model. To ensure appropriate compliance with licensing requirements, and management of software assets:
5. To virus check and register new software.
6. To maintain an awareness of changes to software on the corporate infrastructure and challenge unauthorised software installations carried out by unauthorised users.
7. To administer the media and asset register application.
8. To lead on the design and delivery of the induction training programme for new entrants and users of the corporate network.
9. To maintain technical competence in the technologies associated with your support role and develop your skills to support your planned development.
10. Forge and maintain good working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and government departments.
11. Assist with the creation of defined and documented procedural operations.
12. Work under supervision to contribute to provide support to the corporate ICT service desk team to best use and integrate ICT infrastructure more effectively.
13. Operating within a range of developed proficient disciplines, utilising skills and expertise gained including related technical qualification and/or vocational experience to carry out assigned work packages.
14. As requested, to supervise the work of less experienced engineers and technicians, including:
a. Taking responsibility for the quality of their work.
b. Assisting their delivery to schedule.
c. Supporting their development through mentoring and coaching.
15. Determine alternative approaches or solutions to problems, referring to specific examples of success and achievement where this would contribute to team success.
16. Has good level of understanding and competence in other component disciplines of the corporate support areas to understand how these might be impacted by change.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.