Senior Hardware Test Engineer Ref. 691
with an added £1,800 annual skills allowance
Plus, up to a £3,500 welcome package*
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Your experience in Hardware Testing can help protect national security.
Want to know how?
As an experienced Hardware Test Engineer, you already know how important it is that products work as they’re designed to and meet the needs of the customer. Now imagine that product is used by the UK Government to help keep our country safe. Your role doesn’t get much more vital than that.
Analogue and digital communications, IT and networking components, PCBs, modules, sub-systems or complete systems; our products range from the bespoke, one-of-a-kind to repeat builds incorporating commercial-off-the-shelf elements.
As a Senior Hardware Test Engineer, you’ll work with development teams and be proactive in addressing problems early. You’ll design and perform essential lab-based development testing to ensure our products meet agreed specification, performance, safety and reliability criteria.
You’ll have the opportunity to work across a broad range of technologies and technical capabilities at various stages in the life-cycle and have a hand in defining the test approach for the organisation.
You’ll lead and promote best practice within our test community, advising on future technology to ensure our capability and equipment keeps ahead of emerging trends.
Though our test community, you’ll coach and mentor others and make a positive impact on their career and professional development.
It’s a big ask, which is why you’ll be supported throughout your career with us, not only with training, but as part of a supportive team. We offer flexibility so that you can achieve work life balance, so you don’t have to sacrifice other areas of your life to have a career you love.
More About You
You will already have:
• A relevant HND/degree OR experience in at least three of the following disciplines:
o Audio and Acoustics
o Telecommunications systems including PSTN and ISDN
o Cellular & Wireless systems such as GSM, UMTS, LTE, 5G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
o Global Satellite Navigation Systems such as GPS, Galileo or GLONASS
o Satellite Communication systems
o Video systems
o Intruder Detection Systems
• Ability to design and interpret analogue and digital circuit schematics
• Ability to design, perform and interpret technical measurements in a laboratory environment, including familiarity and use of the majority of the following common laboratory equipment:
o Voltmeters and ammeters
o Audio generators and analysers
o RF signal generators
o Spectrum and network analysers
o Communication analysers
o Data Acquisition (DAQ) and control units
o Pxi instrumentation
• Ability to design and run circuit simulations (using products such as LTspice)
• Ability to analyse and identify performance trends and feedback to individual design teams
• Proven track record in mentoring and coaching others
It would strengthen your application if you have:
• Ability to provide advice on strategic direction of test and measurement to support future technology trends and developments
• Ability to design automated test environments using tools (such as LabVIEW or MATLAB)
• Ability to design for test using software languages (such as C++ or Python)
• Ability to work within Agile development methodologies
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
• Enjoys working with complex systems and has a keen eye for detail
• Is passionate about technology and the latest technological trends
• Can communicate with colleagues at all levels, across multiple disciplines
• Wants to help develop others
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the Verification & Validation profession, you will:
• Prepare verification test strategies, procedures and specifications, using an understanding of suitable test methodologies and the underlying technology used in our products
• Perform detailed manual tests and measurements as defined in strategies, plans and specifications on both prototypes (to aid and inform the design phase) as well as performing and recording formal “run for record” tests on representative final designs
• Design and construct physical test jigs and harnesses to facilitate the required tests and measurements
• Design, build and run automated test scripts and routines
• Document/record results in accordance with our latest data management and development methodologies
• Lead and guide junior engineers (Engineers, Associates and Apprentices)
• Analyse trends and perform failure analysis where required
• Lead and promote best practice amongst test community suitable to keep pace with latest technology trends and current and near future developments
• Where agreed, provide line management of staff
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you’re asked to work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ+ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We're HMGCC, Her Majesty's Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It's ok, we're used to it! That's because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We're not looking for any one type of person. We're looking for talent from all different background to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we're the right fit for you, please click here.
Discover more and apply by clicking 'apply' below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.