Software Infrastructure Engineer Ref. 694
with an additional £1,500 annual skills allowance
Welcome package £2,500*
Full time/ Part time and flexible working patterns are available
World leading software's nothing without world leading Infrastructure to run it...
You’ve got the skills to build the infrastructure to allow systems to thrive. You’ll be part of a team alongside our software developers, bringing your expertise to build the environments to boost their deployments. More importantly, you’ll build your own systems to deliver value to our customers and help them achieve their goals.
You’re the person the makes ideas become real. You’ll develop, deliver and support the platforms needed to deploy on. You’ll work on systems that make a difference to the safety of the UK, and your infrastructure will be critical. You’ll enjoy coming up with creative solutions for global systems that contribute to national security.
More About You
You will already have an:
• Understanding of:
o Networking fundamentals including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP
o Network elements such as the role of switches and firewalls
• Familiarity with:
o Operating systems including Windows and Linux Distributions
You’ll also have an understanding of one of the areas of Infrastructure Engineering listed below:
• Automation and Infrastructure as Code
• DevOps and Software Tools
• Enterprise Level Software and Tools
We know that an Infrastructure Engineer covers a lot of ground, so that’s why we’ve split the required knowledge up. Whether you’re comfortable working in the Cloud, with physical kit, or writing code that can auto-deploy systems – we need your skills. We're keen on people who can do any of these and we’ll help you develop the rest.
To strengthen your application, you may have one or more of the following:
• Knowledge in several of the above groups
• Relevant work experience, equivalent to/ or, a 2-1 or greater relevant Degree
• Knowledge of secure networking protocols, encryption and compression
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
• Enjoys coming up with creative solutions.
• Makes mistakes. And learns from them.
• Enjoys being part of a team. Helping others to deliver or being guided by them yourself.
• Can go with the flow. Change is a big part of our organisation. You will be able to adapt with the support of your team and management.
• Is keen to continually improve both technical and non-technical skills.
Putting your skills to use
What makes HMGCC different is that you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the complete process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of systems whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. You can be creative, working in your own way towards delivery. We ask that in return you have a willingness to learn.
Your day involves:
1. Designing, developing and documenting systems to the highest standards
2. Verifying designs by creating and implementing functional and integration tests
3. Supporting products and investigating reported defects
4. Contributing to project planning and meetings
You’re probably wondering about the tech stack? You can use whatever’s best to get the job done, but of course we’ve got some preferred options:
• Virtualization, Containerisation and Docker, with AWS, Azure, VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors
• Monitoring and Managing with Atlassian
• Hosting applications written in Java, C#, C++, or Python
• Deploying to Windows or Linux
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
• Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or Ethnic Minority. We foster an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident – Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button below. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.