Systems Engineer Ref.687
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday, part-time or flexible working patterns applications welcome.
Do you want to be at the heart of creating new systems for our customer’s most important and urgent work?
You will be responsible for the system concept, requirements, architecture and design. You determine what a customer truly needs by understanding their business model, ultimate end goal and what solution will best fit.
You will define the architecture needed for development teams to implement your solution into reality. You will use your skills and experience to lead technical tasks, manage key stakeholder relationships, and create novel solutions to challenging problems. You will design capability that is compatible at a System of Systems level, integrating seamlessly into the customer’s operating environment.
Your work will be utilised by development teams located internally, at customer sites, or commercial partners.
You will be a key leader working closely with senior management, advising on technical direction and roadmaps. You will be working at the strategic level, in large programmes and across different organisations and business areas. You will often be working at the heart of organisation design, business change and large IT projects.
You will be working in a positive, creative and friendly environment and be part of a Systems Engineering pool. We will provide mentoring and guidance to help you settle in quickly.
More About You
You will already have:
- Hands-on experience of requirements capture, prototyping concepts and producing the high-level system architecture of a solution.
- Experience of working at the System of System level, understanding how one product or change fits into the greater whole.
- A good understanding of technologies and products relevant to delivering solutions.
- A practical understanding of principals and techniques used in shaping and managing the technical aspects of development engineering, and experience in applying them under a range of development methodologies.
- Experience collaborating with colleagues, customers and Industry.
You will also have one or more of the following:
- An INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional Certification, or equivalent.
- Training in Systems Thinking and Critical Thinking, or equivalent.
- Experience of mentoring or coaching more junior staff, particularly around skills development.
- A background in your field as a leader and technologist.
- Using modelling tools, languages, and frameworks to support and communicate your work.
- Line Management experience (role can include Line Management if you desire).
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Will tactfully challenge a stated user requirement to better understand what the true underlying requirement and need is.
- Thinks outside of the box, not afraid to use creative solutions, and understands that a completely different solution to what was expected can revolutionise working practices and outcomes.
- Enjoys collaboration and communication with key stakeholders.
- Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results needed.
- Is pro-active about maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills.
- Acts as a role model and encourages others to develop.
- Good communication skills across all levels.
- An ability to see the bigger picture and how a change will affect the wider system.
- Has a strong attention to detail, equally happy to get to the bottom of an issue or understand a customer’s true need.
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
- Work with colleagues and customers to define a definitive set of functional and non-functional requirements and user stories to capture a task’s true need.
- Understand the big picture in a customer’s programme. Ensure all new solutions will integrate with existing products without issue. Maintain a strong understanding of the overall System of Systems.
- Create the solution to answer the customer’s true needs, documenting your proposed solution, architecture and technical strategy for the development team to use. You will tailor the development approach to best deliver output.
- Work closely with Engineering Leads and Project Managers to ensure the development teams fully understand your technical system design outputs that define your solution.
- Technically advise and influence senior leaders in your work area, such as creating roadmaps for relevant technologies and evolving platforms.
- Remain up to date with current guidance, processes and best practice. Share your experience and knowledge with your peers.
*What we Offer*
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf, or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Relocation Package*
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package