EMC & Environmental Test Engineer Ref. 892
This role is based in the office, and is available full-time for 37 hours per week / Flexible or compressed working patterns available.
World leading technology is nothing if it doesn’t survive the real world!
You will use your skills and experience to simulate real world scenarios in lab-based conditions, ensuring that all products developed and delivered will be robust, reliant, and compliant.
You will be joining a team who must think outside the box to apply innovative solutions to reliably and repeatedly test equipment to standards. Where the need applies, you will get involved in creating test methods that may not seem conventional but give you and your customers the answers they need to be confident in their use of the product.
It’s a big ask, which is why we’ll support you throughout your career with us, not only with training, but as part of a supportive growing team.
No need to sacrifice other areas of your life to have a career you love! Which is why we offer a range of flexible working so you can achieve that work life balance.
More About You
To apply for this role, you will already have,
- A relevant scientific qualification OR experience in at least one of the following disciplines:
- Cellular & Wireless systems such as GSM, UMTS, LTE, 5G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- Global Satellite Navigation Systems such as GPS, Galileo or GLONASS
- Satellite Communication systems
- Mechanical Engineering
- Climatic/vibration Testing
- Material Science
- Ability to perform and interpret technical measurements in a laboratory environment, including familiarity and use of at least one of the following common laboratory equipment:
- Voltmeters and Ammeters
- RF signal generators
- Spectrum and Network Analysers
- The ability to work closely with customers, understand their requirements and communicate any findings, both verbally and written.
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you also have,
- Familiarity with EMC and/or Environmental test environments such as,
- Anechoic chambers
- Climatic chambers
- Vibration tables
- Ingress Protection equipment
- Familiarity of EMC test software such as,
- Familiarity of Standards and/or testing to standards such as,
- EMC Directive
- Radio Equipment Directive
- Def Stan 00-035
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who,
- Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills.
- Is enthused by working with other capable engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results.
- Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard.
- Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention.
- Can manage your own workload and can adapt to changing demands on your time.
- Puts plans in place to make improvements.
- Works with customers to clearly understand their desired outcomes and expectations.
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the EMC & Environmental team, you will,
- Assist with preparation of Verification Test Specifications in conjunction with the design teams.
- Perform detailed manual tests and measurements as defined in Strategies, Procedures and Specifications on both prototypes (to aid and inform the design phase) as well as performing and recording formal tests on representative final designs.
- Assist in preparation of physical test jigs and harnesses to facilitate the required tests and measurements.
- Assist in preparation and running of automated test scripts and routines.
- Document/record results in accordance with our latest data management and development policies and methodology.
- Direct and perform field studies and data gathering to feed back into the professional development of the team and the product development process.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you,
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking.
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day.
- Relocation Package*
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We are HMGCC, the engineering specialists at the heart of the UK’s national security.
We work with the National Security Community, UK Government, academia, private sector partners and international allies to bring engineering ingenuity to the national security mission, creating tools and technologies that drive us ahead and help to protect the nation.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please visit our website.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please see the inclusion and diversity information on our website.
Discover more by clicking ‘apply’.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package