Software Development Engineer Ref.894
Full-time (37 hours per week), part-time, and flexible working patterns available Monday to Friday.
Looking for job security? How about National Security?
You’ll bring your technical knowledge and ideas to create and maintain bespoke software products for our customers at home and overseas.
Our teams work predominantly within agile teams, responsible for design, implementation and operation of the products and solutions they own. As an experienced Software Developer, you will work alongside other Software Developers, DevOps Engineers and Infrastructure Engineers to design, create and deploy unique software solutions in support of the national security mission. As an experienced developer, you will be expected to support apprentice level and junior engineers that you work with.
From innovating new features to increasing reliability, collaborating on module design to assessing and fixing problems, whether your preference is in the secure communications team, or the Android security team, your work will deliver impact here unlike anywhere else.
We use the DDaT Software Developer Role, that means we need you to already be able to:
- Proven experience in designing, developing, and testing software in one of C, C++, C#, Java or Python
- Proficiency in the use of Agile methodologies and design patterns
- Experience in developing applications for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, or Android
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
- Scripting skills using PowerShell, Perl, or Bash
- Experience working with cloud related technologies i.e., Azure, AWS
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills
- Enjoys working with other skilled engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results
- Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive to finish projects to a high standard without getting stuck on adding extra features
- Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You know when to step away from best practice
- Can manage your own workload and is able to adapt to changing demands on your time
- Recognises performance in others and encourages them to build on their strengths
- Puts plans in place to make improvements
- Works with customers to clearly understand their desired outcomes and expectations
Putting your skills to use
You’ll get involved in the full process using your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. You can be creative, working in your own way towards delivery.
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
- Design, develop and document software to the highest standards
- Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews
- Support products and investigate reported issues
- Contribute to project planning and meetings
- Support junior members of the team to develop their skills
- Take technical ownership of modules through their lifetime
What we offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
- Paid overtime or Time Off in Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that
- Lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
- Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive and easy to set up
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf, or crafting, we have a society for you
- On site nursery (subject to availability)
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Relocation Package*
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We foster an inclusive environment and support for everyone
We’re HMGCC, His Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before, that’s because our only customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
Visit our website here to find out more about us and if we’re right for you.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. Find out more and how you can apply under this scheme on our website here.
You’ll complete a short application form and complete an online programming test. This will assess your problem solving, debugging and diagnostics skills. If successful, you will be invited to interview.
Your technical and HR interviews will be held virtually; if you are successful at that stage, you will be invited to a final interview face to face.
Discover more and click ‘apply’.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed, and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*If you are moving to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package