Senior Software Test Automation Engineer Ref. 695
with an added £1,800 annual skills allowance
Plus, up to a £3,500 welcome package*
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday, flexible working patterns will be considered
Do you want to help bring about change and innovation within testing?
We know the benefits of automated test solutions.
As an experienced Software Test Automation Engineer, you know them too.
So you’ll bring your skills and experience to help implement automated testing solutions into our development teams which have historically relied heavily on manual testing, coaching those around you as you go.
Working within a multi-skilled team, you’ll identify and implement automated test solutions against real, and often one of a kind, technical problems using a wide variety of tools to help protect national security.
You’ll be involved in the product development life-cycle from the very beginning, identifying opportunities to improve on existing test practices and setting the approach and strategy for testing as well as working with the team to deliver it.
It’s a big ask, which is why you’ll be supported throughout your career with us with not only training and a great team, but also to achieve work life balance so that you don’t have to sacrifice other areas of your life to have a career you love.
More About You
You will already have:
• Proven experience of implementing and maintaining automated testing
• Proficiency in using coding or scripting languages for test automation
• Demonstrable skills in test analysis, to identify where automation should and should not be used and to plan accordingly
• Experience of using test management tools to accurately record the outcome of testing activities, such as Jira, TM4J, Zephyr or Confluence
• Previous experience of coaching or mentoring others
You will also have one or more of the following:
• Experience using a recognised automation framework, e.g. Robot Framework or Cucumber
• Experience of using virtualisation technologies to create and manage reproducible test environments, e.g. VMware
• Familiarity with software version control e.g. SVN or Git
• To be confident in using Windows, Linux and mobile based operating systems, including use of the command line/terminal interfaces
• Understanding of computer networking
• Experience using test tools to aid with automation
• Knowledge of DevOps tools, such as Jenkins, Ansible, Docker or Bamboo
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who has:
• The desire to help to improve testing and automation practices across the business
• The ability to work with others at all seniority levels and be an advocate for automation & testing
• The drive to continuously improve your own knowledge and skills
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within Software Testing, you will:
• Help to define Test Automation best practice
• Work across all stages of the product lifecycle
• Implement test automation solutions across various platforms and against a large catalogue of products
• Manage and maintain your testing suites using test management tools and test automation frameworks
• Accurately report on test results and communicate well to all stakeholders
• Help to grow the skillset within the testing profession, through mentoring and coaching
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classis cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident – Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button below. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.