Project Manager Ref. 604
HMGCC has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our team. You will lead projects that solve real, and often unique, technical problems. Our work is highly varied and our project timescales range from a couple of months to a few years meeting the needs of our government in the UK and around the world.
It is desirable that you have an understanding of product development in a software or electronics engineering environment and must have experience in communicating effectively with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels within an organisation. We are looking for someone with a hands-on, flexible style who is keen to take an innovative approach to deliver the technology of tomorrow. In this role you may also have the opportunity to deliver business change projects, to meet the needs of an evolving organisation.
HMGCC holds Association of Project Management (APM) Corporate Accreditation and we offer a supportive environment. We invest heavily in your career development through training courses, professional accreditation, mentoring and on-the-job training. You will have the opportunity to mentor less experienced Project Managers.
We would need you to already:
• Be well-versed in the tools, techniques and best practices of project management
• Have practical experience delivering a broad range of projects on schedule, within budget and to agreed quality standards
• Work effectively with senior stakeholders to manage delivery expectations
• Demonstrate successful team leadership leading multi-disciplined teams
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Evidence of delivery achieved through a range of project and development methodologies
• Experience of change management or the delivery of business change projects
• Hold a level of professional accreditation and membership of a recognised project management body like the Association for Project Management (APM)
• Experience of working with MS Project and Enterprise Project Management (EPM), or similar systems
To work as a Project Manager, you will be the type of person who:
• Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention
• Act as a role model and challenge others to develop as leaders
• Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard
• Has excellent communication skills and enjoys talking to others to find out more about what they need and how you can help them
• Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results you need
• Is excited by a challenge, being level headed and confident in your ability to do your best even if under pressure
• Is pro-active about maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Be responsible for successful definition, scoping and delivery of projects
• Lead project planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting activities; review progress against identified project health indicators to identify areas of concern and where possible improve performance
• Identify, recommend and seek agreement for options to deliver the project and manage the subsequent baseline plan or change in strategy; Seek to actively pre-empt impending exception conditions and potential issues and manage them effectively, working in accordance within existing governance requirements
• Lead risk management and project assurance activities, successfully managing technical and commercial risks as part of successful project delivery; preparation and maintenance of project, quality and risk plans
• Monitor and control resources to ensure the project is delivered within planned cost, timescale and quality measures; define and set work packages for individuals and provide performance feedback to the individual with the visibility of the line manager
• Maintain and enhance good stakeholder relations through effective communications; report progress and issues appropriately and efficiently so as to avoid surprises; ensure that teams work in an efficient and co-ordinated manner; build and maintain team motivation and focus and ensure that conflict is effectively managed
• Identify and report emergent trends and lessons learnt within projects that could improve efficiency and effectiveness across HMGCC
• Support the Project Management community by identifying improvements to project management processes and assist in the implementation of these to achieve benefits across all our projects
• Remain up to date on development in the project management profession
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.