Associate Network Engineer Ref. 561
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Network Engineer to join our growing team. The corporate ICT team have significantly improved their capability.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The network team designs, implements, supports and manages all data and voice networks at HMGCC. Capacity, change and configuration management disciplines are required to maintain all new and existing network hardware and its related software.
You will have the opportunity to mentor less experienced network engineers. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and decide how you want to get the work done, as long as you can deliver.
We would need you to already have:
- Basic Knowledge of OSI Model, LAN/WAN technologies
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Understanding of multi-vendor hardware (Switch, Router, Firewall)
- Experience in network monitoring tools/applications
- Experience of good physical patch management disciplines
- Proven experience of customer service delivery in technical environment
- Experience in network configuration/functionality/testing and deployment
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
- CCNA or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Wi-Fi technologies
- ITIL best practice working involvement and awareness
- Experience of working with formal design and build documentation
To work as a Network Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
- Assist and guide others who are less experienced or new to their role
- Question assumptions and consider a problem in context
- Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
- Plan ahead and involve others in a timely way
- Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
- Communicate with credibility to variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
- Create and encourage positive working relationships
- Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
- Keep customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
- Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest charges and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Working with the Network Engineering Manager contribute to implementing and managing network monitoring tools with a view to achieving the most effective use of network infrastructure equipment, providing management information to support and enhancement proposals
- Supporting day-to-day liaison and strategic planning with customers using new technology and techniques to improve the service offered
- Contribute to the maximum availability of all corporately supported ICT Network infrastructures to the customer base throughout HMGCC
- Contribute to the delivery of secure, functional network infrastructure services to defined service level agreements
- Maintain awareness of technology, innovation and improvement of processes to
o Anticipate new trends and technologies relevant to HMGCC's requirements, in converged network environments
o Ensure that all procedural documentation is created and maintained and of sufficient detail for purpose
- Forge positive working relationships with our internal/external customers and suppliers
o Demonstrating a high degree of professionalism and technical credibility
o Developing trust with the customer in resolving queries promptly in a helpful and friendly manner, with enthusiasm and pride
o Effective supplier/contract negotiation skills
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a “Disability Confident Leader” we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an Interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form.
On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.