Application/ Database Support Engineer Ref. 583
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Product Support Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The Product Support Team provides daily 2nd line technical support for COTS and in-house developed software products and associated databases. We are also responsible for database maintenance & monitoring ensuring system availability and data integrity, software testing of new or updated applications and change management when introducing new or updated software products.
We would need you to already have:
- Knowledge and experience of some of the following:
o Databases - Microsoft SQL Server & Informix
o Operating systems - Windows & LINUX
o Web Servers - llS & Apache
o Enterprise COTS - Finance, ERP, EPM & HR
- Experience of working in a 1st/2nd line application support in a technical environment, including project implementation
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
- Experience of Information Technology Information Library (ITIL) best practice
- Experience of administering, managing & monitoring Databases
- Virtual Infrastructure - VMWare tools
- Experience of a disciplined change management procedures
- Experience of software evaluation, testing, implementation & deployment
- Experience of working with formal design and build documentation
To work as a Product Support Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
- Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism. Assist and guide others who are less experienced.
- Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions.
- Plan ahead and involve others in a timely manner. Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines.
- Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside of the organisation. Promote ideas and initiatives
- Create and encourage positive working relationships.
- Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
- Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Engage with the customer to tease out requirements; respond proactively to service desk requests, within agreed or published SLA timescales.
- Maintain, monitor and support corporate COTS systems and developed software products by:
o Identifying the scale of a request for change, conferring or escalating where required.
o Keeping the customer informed of progress on service desk incidents and the project/product manager on project/product deliverables.
o Support the design and development of new products in accordance with HMGCC's procedures and policies.
o Ensure all work carried out is appropriately documented and stored to enable repetition and knowledge sharing/transfer opportunities.
o Ensure quality engineering practice and strive for excellence in product availability.
o Contribute to any appropriate reports at required frequency as required.
- Identify and inform the project teams of issues related to that particular product/project including:
o Advising the project/product manager of progress or potential issues.
o Recommendations for architectural design decisions and/or changes.
o Bugs and issues found during product testing.
o Contributing to the resolution of problems.
- Maintain awareness of relevant technologies anticipating new trends in software arenas; disseminating information to team members using appropriate medium. This includes:
o New tools and techniques to help improve product support and the product development process.
o Looking ahead and anticipating changes in technology direction, evaluating those for which you consider HMGCC would make most effective use.
- Forge and maintain good working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and OGDs.
- As requested, supervise the work of less experienced product support engineers including:
o Taking responsibility for the quality of their work.
o Assisting their delivery to schedule .
o Supporting their development through mentoring and coaching.
- Operating within a range of developed proficiencies utilising skills and expertise gained including related technical qualifications and/or vocational experience to carry out assigned work packages.
- Able to consider alternative approaches or solutions to problems, referring to specific examples of success and achievement where this would contribute to team success.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.