Physicist Ref. 536
This is a full-time role but flexible working patterns will be considered.
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Physicist to join a small team.
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you'll ever work - we invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on-the-job training as well as investing in the latest technology and manufacturing equipment.
Our work is hugely varied providing many intellectual challenges to assess our worldwide products and systems for vulnerabilities and devising ways of securing them. Project timescales range from a couple of weeks to a few years. We secure a wide variety of technologies with often unique technical challenges and therefore need versatile and passionate people to tackle new problems as technologies continue to advance. At HMGCC you'll see how your work can really make a difference.
We would need you to already have:
• A 2(i) (or greater) Bachelors I Master's degree in Physics
• A specialism/keen interest in electromagnetics, magnetics and optical systems
• The ability to devise and perform practical experiments, measurements and tests
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• Knowledge of basic acoustic principles
• Knowledge of EMC and Tempest
• Knowledge of telecommunications principles
• Knowledge of mains power distribution and signalling systems
• A working knowledge of analogue and digital electronics
To work as a Physicist you will be the type of person who:
• Is technically curious, likes to take things apart to learn how they function
• Has good problem solving abilities, thinks flexibly and creatively about problems that seem impossible
• Enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with allthe latest developments
• Feels confident with uncertainty and doesn't require knowing the full picture
• Is able to communicate well with team members
• Is able to think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions; knowing when to refer issues to others, and draw on expertise
• Is willing to persist with a challenge and approach it in an organised manner
• Is willing to work with and learn from others
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Performing Vulnerability Research against our products, document your findings and where applicable provide proof-of-concepts to demonstrate a vulnerability and suggest potential mitigations
• Where applicable, support and ideally be part of a development team to produce a countermeasure product
• Identify and evaluate technology, propose strategies for its adoption, disseminate information to, and seek feedback from, relevant parties (both internal and external) in a timely manner
• Contribute to meetings and the research proposal process
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.