Lead Engineer Ref.685
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday, part-time or flexible working patterns applications welcome.
Do you want to lead development teams and join our leading technical experts responsible for delivering our most complex projects and programmes?
You will be accountable for the design, implementation, and delivery of high-quality technical solutions, solving the highest priority problems for our customers.
You will use your skills and experience to be the leading engineer on a task, define the technical strategy and working closely with customers to understand their requirements, creating solution architecture and design. You will then assign work, lead and mentor your development team to implement and deliver your solution into live use. You will work alongside a Project Manager who will be responsible for time and budget, and on some of the most complex tasks a Systems Engineer responsible for the requirements capture and high-level design.
You will technically manage multi-disciplinary teams, responsible for work quality, mentoring and ensuring everyone’s work integrates without issue. Some development teams you will manage may be located at other sites or at Industry partners; you will be responsible for ensuring conformity to requirements, quality and system integration.
In this role you will be a key leader working closely with senior management in technology and customer delivery areas, advising on technical direction and the product ecosystem. You will be working on latest industry technologies and applying the most suitable options into your solutions. Our work is varied with no two projects the same. You will be assigned projects that complement your skillset, for example software, embedded, electronic, mechanical, business change, or a blend.
You will be working in a positive, creative and friendly environment as part of a pool of similar technical leaders. We will provide mentoring and guidance to help you settle in quickly.
More About You
You will already have:
- Experience of leading engineering teams and managing a development lifecycle to deliver challenging projects in a technology environment.
- Hands-on experience of techniques and best practice for creating and implementing architectural designs into products, for example Agile methodologies.
- Experience collaborating across disciplines and with customers, suppliers and contractors.
You will also have one or more of the following:
- Hands-on experience of managing external teams such as subcontracting, taking responsibility for system integration.
- Experience of mentoring or coaching more junior staff, particularly with respect to skills development.
- Hands-on experience of managing development projects using SAFe or other agile methods.
- A background in your field as a leader and technologist.
- Managing development teams on a range of technologies including technologies not familiar to you.
- Line Management experience.
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results needed.
- Knows when to and how to draw on the technical expertise of specialists.
- Enjoys leading a team, creating an inclusive working environment and not afraid to jump in to help.
- Is pro-active about maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills.
- Acts as a role model and encourages others to develop as leaders.
- Has good communication skills across all levels.
- Collaborates well with key stakeholders.
- Ability to embrace change well, understanding that new techniques and ways of working can revolutionise an area.
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
- Carry out systems engineering analysis (when no Systems Engineer assigned) to work with customers to define a definitive set of functional and non-functional requirements, as well as user stories, to capture a customer’s true need.
- Create the technical strategy to deliver the product into operation. You will tailor the development approach to best deliver output.
- Be responsible for the creation of the overarching technical architecture and system design of a solution, resolving the customer’s requirements.
- Ensure your design solution will be compatible with any interfacing systems.
- Take responsibility for the task’s technical documentation, including requirements, architectural designs, implementation specifications, etc.
- Lead teams, ensuring their work fits your design, is of high quality and will integrate into the wider solution.
- Work closely with other leaders such as Systems Engineers and Project Managers to ensure the task will meet the agreed budget, schedule and functionality.
- Act as an escalation point for technical issues from your team or from the customers.
- Provide technical direction and influence senior leaders in your work area such as roadmaps for relevant technologies and evolving platforms.
- Remain up to date with current guidance and processes and share your experience and knowledge with your peers.
*What we Offer*
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Relocation Package*
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package