IT Engineer - Databases Ref. 732
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Flexible working patterns will be considered.
Want to work somewhere that’s a little bit different? Enjoy developing solutions? Want a better work life balance?
In the Service Operations Centre (SOC) you’ll support IT services for Government departments in the UK and around the globe.
You’ll bring your technical expertise to deploy and maintain systems that help protect national security at home and overseas. You may not know all of the details yet, but you soon will.
No two days will be the same, one day you could be optimising one of our high availability databases to improve users experience, the next you could be troubleshooting a fault with one of our business-critical bespoke applications. This is an exciting opportunity that will ensure you are at the forefront of technology in our organisation.
You will be working within a positive, creative and friendly environment who’ll provide on the job training as well as formal training qualifications – we invest to be the best
Pull up your SOC’s and apply here…
More About You
You’ll already have:
• Proven experience with Microsoft SQL Databases and IIS administration.
• Troubleshooting knowledge within a Virtualised Windows server environment.
• Experience of using scripting/automation technologies.
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
• Working with API’s
• Cloud Technologies
Your Personal Skills
You’ll be the type of person who:
• Recognise good performance and encourage people to build on their strengths
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
• Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
• Create and encourage positive working relationships
• Keep customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting your skills to use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Represent the organisation at external meetings for your specific areas of responsibility (including technical, policy and service delivery issues)
• Be involved in the building, testing and implementation of significant system enhancements
• Leading and co-ordinating large scale Problem investigations
• Proactively identifying system performance optimisation opportunities
• Reviewing, revising and creating low-level design documentation
• Providing expert subject matter technical input, including providing team training
• Providing stand in leadership and team support when required
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf, or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ+ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.