Project Manager Ref. 739
With up to an additional £3,000 welcome package available*
This is a full-time role but part-time working will be considered (minimum 3 days a week)
Possibility of some working from home available.
Do you enjoy leading on projects and seeing them through to completion? Want to work somewhere where you can make a difference? Do you want a better work life balance?
You’ll bring your knowledge and experience of Project Management to solve unique problems and find suitable technical solutions. You will use your excellent relationship building skills to liaise with stakeholders, managing their expectations as well as ensuring teams work in a co-ordinated manner to deliver results. You will work on highly varied projects with timescales ranging from a couple of months to a few years meeting the needs of our government in the UK and around the world.
HMGCC is a corporate affiliate with the Association for Project Management (APM). As an experienced Project Manager, you’ll be able to mentor others in the team to help them learn best practices and provide on the job training. You’ll also be able to develop in your career too through training courses and professional accreditation – we invest to be the best.
More About You
You will already:
• Be well-versed in the tools, techniques and best practices of project management
• Have practical experience in successfully delivering a broad range of projects
• Work effectively with a variety of stakeholders to manage delivery expectations
• Demonstrate successful team leadership
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
• Experience of sub-contracting work out and managing remote teams
• Evidence of delivery achieved through a range of project and development methodologies
• Experience as a Scrum Master or a SAFe Release Train Engineer
• Experience of change management or the delivery of business change initiatives
• Hold a level of professional accreditation and/or membership of a recognised project management body like APM
• Experience of working with Microsoft Project or similar project management tools
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
• Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish work to a high standard
• Has excellent communications skills and enjoys talking to others to find out more about what they need and how we can help
• Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results needed
• Is pro-active about maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills
• Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention
• Act as a role model and encourage others to develop as leaders
• Consistently seeks and acts on stakeholder feedback to improve services
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the project delivery team, you will:
• Be responsible for successful definition, scoping and delivery of projects/tasks
• Lead planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting activities; review progress against identified health indicators to identify areas of concern and where possible improve performance
• Maintain and enhance good stakeholder relations through effective communications; report progress and issues appropriately and effectively to avoid surprises; ensure teams work in an efficient and co-ordinated manner; build and maintain team motivation and focus and ensure conflict is effectively managed
• Lead risk management and project assurance activities, successfully managing technical and commercial risks as part of successful delivery; preparation and maintenance of project, quality and risk plans
• Support the project delivery community by identifying improvements to processes and assist in the implementation of these to achieve benefits across all our work
• Remain up to date on development in the project delivery profession
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Discover more and apply but clicking ‘apply’ below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.