Associate PCB Design and Layout Design Engineer Ref. 575
At HMGCC we design and develop leading-edge communication systems to support UK interests at home and overseas. The Electronics Systems team delivers a wide range of products based on broad technologies. Our focus is on product realisation, working with experts from other areas such as radio, mechanical and signal processing.
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you'll ever work - we'll invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on the-job training.
You will provide technical expertise in the design and development of imaginative solutions to unique communications problems. As part of a team you will be responsible for the design throughout its development, from the initial gathering of requirements and analysis, through manufacture and verification.
Our work is hugely varied, with time scales for delivery ranging from a couple of weeks to a few years, so we need versatile and passionate people to tackle new problems as we continue to push new technology forward. At HMGCC you'll see how your work can really make a difference.
We would need you to already have:
• A relevant qualification such as HND, HNC or equivalent in Electronic Engineering, or relevant experience.
• A sound understanding of Multilayer PCB design and layout.
• Experience of using ECAD design software such as Altium.
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Work experience in a manufacture PCB design or an electronic test environment.
• Experience of designing and building your own electronic projects.
• A sound understanding of electronics principles and fundamentals.
To work as a PCB Design Engineer you will need to be the type of person who:
• Enjoys working out how you can apply a range of techniques in different and imaginative ways
• Takes pride in turning design specifications into reality, making sure that they deliver the end user's exact requirement
• Is excited by the opportunity to focus on a specialist project
• Naturally pays extremely high attention to detail, being thorough and concise in your approach
• Is adept at getting the information you need, and can explain your own requirements to non-technical audiences
• Values contributing to a multi-disciplinary team, keeping others fully informed of the progress in your individual area of responsibility
• Is adept at modelling how something behaves so that you can choose the right method to meet your customer's requirement
• Would value opportunities to progress towards taking responsibility for highly complex projects and supervising others
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your skills and experience in PCB design you will:
• Design PCB circuit boards to meet the needs of a product requirement.
• You will consider layout to optimise heat management and EMC.
• You will produce all the documentation needed to get your PCB manufactured.
• You will work closely with the PCB manufacturer to optimise and realise your design.
• Be responsible for the quality of your work and work in accordance with procedures, policies and responsibilities common across HMGCC.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.