Security and Data Analyst Ref. 329
HMGCC has a unique opportunity for an IT Security and Data Analyst to join our growing Information Assurance Team. The post holder will help to ensure that National Security policy is applied within a large-scale IT service to customers across Government.
To assure compliance we actively monitor activity on our systems, analysing the behaviour and patterns of systems and users. In this role you will operate an industry leading Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) toolset, undertaking routine reporting but also responding to alerts and identifying issues for investigation. When incidents are identified you will then manage investigation and liaise with stakeholders to ensure their requirements are adequately captured and met.
Successful applicants will learn to operate and analyse data within our SIEM toolsets, with a focus on continued improvement of our alerting and reporting abilities. Here you will have the opportunity to work within a team that provides an essential security function.
We are looking for enthusiastic, inquiring and self-motivated individuals who are effective under pressure and willing to take personal responsibility.
We will need you to already have:
- An understanding of IT Security and Information Assurance.
- Relevant experience of working in a data administration or analytical role.
- Proficiency in data analysis and the ability to identify trends, anomalies and patterns within data so that risk can be identified and addressed
- The ability to present data in the form of reports
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
- Familiarity and experience of the Security "Triad" - "Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability".
- Knowledge and experience of using a corporate Security Incident and Event Management Tool e.g. ArcSight.
- Experience of working within a protective monitoring department or in a security context.
- Experience of liaising with clients and key stakeholders.
- Experience of delivering accurate, relevant and timely reports
To succeed as a Security and Data Analyst you will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys thinking through problems and coming up with solutions, having considered all applicable factors.
- Likes to works on your own initiative, being able to plan ahead and manage your workload and adapt workload to meet business demands.
- Always pays attention to detail to make sure you produce high quality work and can work within tight deadlines.
- Has excellent communication skills, and enjoys talking to others to find out more about their needs, adapting the delivery of communication to suit.
- Is able to present data clearly and concisely in written reports for non-technical readers.
- Can judge when to make decisions versus when to consult or escalate to others.
- Enjoys working in a team, and supporting each other to achieve goals. Is co-operative with internal/external staff and able to appreciate others' point of view.
- Takes pride in delivering the best possible service, even when you are faced with a challenging situation. Aware of customer business needs and challenges.
- Really wants to learn and improve your knowledge and skills; with the ability to learn from incidents and issues.
Putting Your Skills to Use
Your daily tasks will include:
- Using the Security Information and Event Monitoring toolset (SIEM) to analyse and report on ICT and user activity, highlighting and investigating anomalous behaviour.
- Deliver reports to partners and stakeholders within time and quality tolerances.
- Maintaining and developing operational relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Log, investigate, escalate and track potential security incidents.
- Providing the protective monitoring input into incident investigations.
- Assisting with regular and ad hoc Information Assurance processes.
- Recommending and/or implementing improvements in Information Assurance processes.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us’ page.
*Actual value of welcome package dependant on individual’s experience, negotiable with the Recruitment Team. If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date. Please note short-listing for this position will not be conducted until after the close date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.