Production Engineer Ref. 733
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Flexible working patterns will be considered
Do you want the opportunity to work with the latest technology and manufacturing equipment whilst developing your engineering skills and experience? Are you looking to join an experienced and knowledgeable team within our modern manufacturing facility? Do you want to use your skills to protect national security?
You’ll be joining a supportive, inclusive team who work with Manufacturing and Design teams across HMGCC to ensure that products can be efficiently and effectively manufactured. Working with a broad range of teams ensures that you will continue to develop experience and knowledge in multiple engineering disciplines. You will enable the manufacturing department to deliver exciting, bespoke solutions to our customers promptly and at the required quality.
You’ll also work with design teams, both internally and across partner organisations, to advise on HMGCC’s manufacturing capabilities, identify risks and implement risk mitigations. The team is naturally curious and apply their broad range of skills to help enable the UK Government produce reliable and secure products to protect national security, it doesn’t get much more important than that!
More About You
You’ll already have:
• The ability to read and interpret electronic and/or mechanical technical drawings
• Understanding of Design for Manufacture and Assembly techniques and how to utilise them
• A recognised engineering apprenticeship or relevant experience
• Computer Literacy (MS Office/Excel/Visio)
• Experience in one or more of the following areas:
o PCB assembly (auto and/or manual)
o PCB manufacturing
o Electro-mechanical production processes
o Electronics design and development
o Mechanical design and development
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
• Electronics or mechanical qualification (HNC or HND equivalent)
• Problem solving experience in a mechanical and/or electronic process and manufacturing environment
• Experience with engineering software such as CAD (Creo, Altium, Solidworks), Jira, Confluence, or PDM systems (Windchill)
Your Personal Skills
To work as a Production Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Enjoys solving problems, especially if you are good at finding different ways of doing things
• Enjoys dealing with internal customers, paying close attention to the detail of their requests so that you can deal with queries and help to solve their problems
• Is proactive and is able to plan and manage your workload effectively
• Remains level headed even if under pressure with the ability to ask for support and guidance as required
• Enjoys finding out information through talking to others and learning from them. Can be a bit of a diplomat when working with others from different areas.
• Enjoys working as part of a team and sharing your ideas to get results
• Wants to learn new skills and improve your knowledge to be the best you can be
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
• Support product development teams by helping to advise on physical design and techniques/processes that affect the efficient and effective manufacture of a product or sub-system (NPI).
• Be passionate about designing for manufacture, assembly and test (DFMA/T)
• Solve problems encountered by the manufacturing teams
• Identify continuous improvements (CI) and implement them
• Facilitate Design Engineers, Manufacturing Personnel and CAD Engineers to produce and develop build documentation, ensuring that consideration is given to:
o Available manufacturing facilities
o Category of build (prototype, pre-production and production)
o Number of products required over the lifecycle of the project
o Lifetime of product
o Manufacturing Yield
o Design for manufacture, assembly and test
• Identify manufacturing risks and manage subsequent risk reduction/mitigation strategies
• Promote best practice on behalf of HMGCC when liaising with other departments, contractors and customers
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classis cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Discover more and apply but clicking ‘apply’ below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package