Building Services Engineer Ref. 678
Do you enjoy working on a variety of tasks? Want to work somewhere a little different with a wide range of facilities? Do you want a work in an organisation that invests in your development?
You’ll use your extensive knowledge and experience of building services to maintain and enhance the facilities, services and utilities for the site’s multiple buildings. You will work across our diverse and interesting site with many technical facilities, including engineering laboratories, offices, and utilities areas. Most days will be different, and you will get to interact with a wide range of users and suppliers as you plan and deliver various projects ranging from delivering complex new facilities to statutory compliance work.
You will join a small supportive team where professional development and training is provided and encouraged for both technical and core skills.
More About You
You will already have:
- A proven background and professional qualification in Building Services or relevant experience.
- A strong Mechanical and Electrical skillset, ideally with an emphasis on Electrical Engineering.
- Experience of planning and managing multiple projects/works packages simultaneously.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
- Experience in using CAD (preferably AutoCAD).
- Experience of managing Facilities Management contracts.
- General knowledge of construction trades and best working practices.
- Experience of championing Environmental and Sustainability initiatives.
- Experience of working with ISO standards such as ISO 50001, ISO 14001 etc.
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys working on multiple diverse projects at a variety of scales.
- Establishes strong working relationships.
- Promotes new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
- Enjoys being part of a supportive team.
- Communicates clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Is able to capture and convert a non-technical requirement into a technical specification.
- Can go with the flow. Change is a big part of our organisation. You will be able to adapt with the support of your team and management
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the Estates team, you will:
- Work collectively within the team to ensure the site is safe and legally compliant.
- Lead on specific projects work, from initial request to completion, working collaboratively with all members of the supply chain.
- Respond to system and infrastructure failures to minimise the impact on site.
- Interrogate the Building Management System to identify faults or develop enhancements.
- Respond to user requests for repair, maintenance and infrastructure enhancements.
- Share in the on-call rota, typically for up to a week each month.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- On call allowance
- Paid overtime or TOIL. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classis cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Relocation Package*
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re the right fit for you, please click here.
Discover more and apply by clicking 'apply' below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.