Software Test Analyst Ref. 776
Do you have an inquisitive nature, enjoy asking questions and uncovering information?
Want to play a key part in assuring quality in the communication systems used to help protect national security?
As a Software Test Analyst at HMGCC, you’ll work across the whole product development lifecycle within a multi-skilled team, applying test best practice and championing quality throughout. You’ll identify, design and implement test solutions for a wide range of systems which are often one of a kind and designed to help protect national security. You could work across various technology areas such as Telecoms, Mobile Platforms, Enterprise Networks, Security Research, Bespoke Communications systems and much more.
Using your strong communication and problem solving skills, you’ll work with operational users, customers, project managers and development engineers to identify risk and provide assurance to the user that they’re receiving a product which does the job it’s required to do.
You’ll have access to a generous training budget for your career development and progression, as well as joining a supportive team who will provide on the job training to help you succeed. You’ll have flexibility so that you can achieve work life balance; you don’t have to juggle other areas of your life to have a career you love.
This position is available full-time for 37 hours or part-time with a minimum coverage of 28 hours per week Monday to Friday, flexible working patterns will be considered.
More About You
You will already have:
- Experience of working within a Software or Hardware Development Lifecycle.
- Experience of executing various test types and techniques, e.g. functional and non-functional, system testing and acceptance testing.
- Experience of scripting skills, such as Python, PowerShell or Bash.
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
- Experience of Virtualisation and/or Cloud technologies.
- Familiarity with networking technologies.
- To be confident in using one of the following: Windows, Linux or mobile based operating systems, including use of the command line/terminal interfaces.
- Experience using test automation technologies and frameworks.
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who has:
- A critical thinking and analytical mindset.
- The desire to help to improve testing practices within your team.
- The ability to work and communicate with others at all levels.
- The drive to continuously improve your own knowledge and skills.
- The ability to plan your own workload and adapt to changing demands
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within your Development team, you will:
- Help to apply testing best practice.
- Represent Testing across all stages of the product lifecycle.
- Implement test solutions across various platforms and against a varied catalogue of products and technologies.
- Manage and maintain your testing using test management tools and (where appropriate) test automation frameworks.
- Accurately report on test results and communicate well to all stakeholders, raising issues and bugs as needed.
- Grow your testing skillset and software development knowledge, through continuous learning and development.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking.
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ+ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before, that’s because our only customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
Visit our website here to find out more about us and if we’re right for you.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. Find out more and how you can apply under this scheme on our website here.
Discover more and click ‘apply’.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
The closing date for this role is 23:55 on Thursday 1st September 2022