Senior Physicist Ref. 471
This is a full-time role but flexible working patterns will be considered
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Physicist to join a small team.
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you'll ever work - we invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on-the-job training as well as investing in the latest technology and manufacturing equipment.
Our work is hugely varied providing many intellectual challenges to assess our worldwide products and systems for vulnerabilities and devising ways of securing them. Project timescales range from a couple of weeks to a few years. We secure a wide variety of technologies with often unique technical challenges and therefore need versatile and passionate people to tackle new problems as technologies continue to advance. At HMGCC you'll see how your work can really make a difference.
We would need you to already have:
• A 2(i) (or greater) Bachelors I Master's degree in Physics
• A specialism/keen interest in electromagnetics, magnetics and optical systems
• Proficiency in devising and performing practical experiments, measurements and tests
• A working knowledge of analogue and digital electronics
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Knowledge of basic acoustic principles
• Knowledge / experience of EMC and Tempest
• Knowledge / experience of telecommunications principles
• Knowledge / experience of mains power distribution and signalling systems
• Experience of mentoring staff in your discipline
To work as a Physicist, you will be the type of person who:
• Is technically curious, likes to take things apart to learn how they function
• Has excellent problem solving abilities and has the ability to adapt to unplanned changes, overcoming obstacles and seeing tasks through to completion
• Takes pride in being the 'go to person’, establishing your credibility equally with technical peers and non-technical end users.
• Values the opportunity of leading others to the right outcome, being able to manage any tensions between the end user and engineering worlds
• Enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with all the latest developments
• Enjoys working with a range of experts, knowing when to draw upon their expertise to help you deliver project outcomes
• Feels confident with uncertainty, helping others to reduce and manage ambiguity around potential ways forward
• Is able to communicate detailed technical information to a wide range of audiences including non-technical staff
• Is able to think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions; knowing when to refer issues to others, and draw on expertise
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Performing Vulnerability Research against our products, document your findings and where applicable provide proof-of-concepts to demonstrate a vulnerability, and then provide a practical mitigation for our product team to secure it
• Where applicable, support and ideally be part of a development team to produce a countermeasure product
• Identify and evaluate technology, propose strategies for its adoption, disseminate information to, and seek feedback from, relevant parties (both internal and external) in a timely manner
• Contribute to project planning, meetings and the research proposal process
• Supervise or mentor less experienced staff
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.