Security Engineer (IT Security) Ref. 524
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Security Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our Security Engineering Department delivers a range of high quality services and assurances using best practice.
The Security Engineering Team provide platforms, controls and mitigations to the availability, confidentiality and integrity of corporate ICT servers and associated infrastructure so that our information is used effectively and safely. Part of a growing team, this is a key hands-on role providing engineering solutions to mitigate the risks that the organisation faces. The successful candidate will be involved in incident management, designing and implementing solutions and assessing vulnerabilities and threats. The role-holder will work to agreed corporate standards in support of business service continuity & disaster recovery.
We would need you to already have:
• Working knowledge of software environments including:
o Active Directory (Domains & Forests)
o Group Policy implementation and troubleshooting
o Microsoft SQL, Exchange
o Enterprise-class server environments (Virtualisation)
• Working knowledge of systems integration (integrating COTS products into existing environment)
• Familiarity with PC/Server hardware and peripherals, administration and troubleshooting operating systems and applications (including PC diagnostics)
• Knowledge of ICT software security and Anti-Virus measures
• Experience in software evaluation/configuration/functionality/testing and deployment
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Prepared to have a flexible attitude to work, in return for a flexible working environment
• Experience of a variety of vendor/manufacturer hardware and software solutions
• ITIL best practice working involvement and awareness desirable
• Experience of working in an environment where change is common and adaptable to it
• Proven experience of delivery in an Information Assurance environment
• Recognised qualifications relevant to both server and security engineering
• Experience working with formal design and build documentation
To work as a Security Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism. Assist and guide others who are less experienced
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
• Plan ahead and involve others in a timely manner. Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside of the organisation. Promote ideas and initiatives
• Create and encourage positive working relationships
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
1. Contribute to work that ensures that the confidentiality, integrity and availability of HMGCC's data is managed to agreed levels.
2. Carry out engineering activities that will augment the control and monitoring solutions that mitigate the IA risks faced by the organisation. Ensure that all assigned incidents and activities are resolved within published SLA timescales.
3. Identify and report emergent trends resulting from threat and vulnerability analysis, highlighting areas for improvement at both tactical and longer term levels.
4. Technology, innovation and improvement of processes:
a. Maintain awareness of technologies relevant to information assurance within HMGCC and disseminate to colleagues appropriately.
b. Be involved in technology update briefings as appropriate.
c. Provide analysis effort to the output from monitoring solutions when required.
5. Forge positive working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and OGD's.
6. Work within defined and documented procedural operations.
7. Work under supervision to develop and evolve technical solutions with the aim of further mitigating the information risks faced by the organisation.
8. Operating within a range of developed proficient disciplines, utilising skills and expertise gained including related technical qualifications and/or vocational experience to carry out assigned work packages.
9. As requested, to supervise the work of less experienced engineers and technicians, including:
a. Taking responsibility for the quality of their work.
b. Assisting their delivery to schedule.
10. Determine alternative approaches or solutions to problems, referring to specific examples of success and achievement where this would contribute to team success.
11. Has good level of understanding and competence in other component disciplines of the corporate support areas to understand how these might be impacted by change.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.