Web Software Developer Ref. 644
This position is for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday on a shift basis.
Shifts are between 8am and 6pm working 7.5 hours a day
Do you want a better work life balance? Enjoy developing solutions to improve outcomes? Want to make a difference in the UK and overseas?
In the Service Operations Centre (SOC) you'll support IT services for Government departments in the UK and around the globe.
You'll bring your technical knowledge to design bespoke web based products for your customers, focusing on the user experience. You may not know all of the details yet, but you soon will.
No two days will be the same, one day you could be using your communication skills to liaise with stakeholders and project managers, the next you could be producing code to introduce new features on a product to improve the user experience.
You will be working within a positive, creative and friendly environment who'll provide on the job training as well as formal training qualifications - we invest to be the best.
Pull up your SOC's and apply here...
More about you
You will already have:
• A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management and best development practices
• Understand and intelligently debug both existing and new code
To strengthen your application, you will also have one or more of the following:
• Experience of developing using Full Stack technologies (e.g. nodeJS,GO, React, Angular, Redux)
• Experience in website design (UX/UI)
• Experience of working to accessibility guidelines and responsive design patterns
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who will:
• Think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions
• Plan ahead and manage your workload
• Explain information in a clear and logical way
• Work cooperatively with others to achieve goals
• Deal efficiently with customer requests, queries and problems; delivering the best possible service
• Show flexibility in adapting to the situation or requirements
• Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism
Putting your skills to use
Using your expertise as part of a team you will:
• Perform work in accordance with engineering policies, processes and procedures; where authorised, tailoring these to meet the needs of specific circumstances
• Design solutions that address the customers' needs
• Produce an appropriate level of design documentation, taking into account the through-life requirements
• Develop and maintain the Discipline and Application knowledge and skills that are necessary to be an efficient and effective engineer
• Complete tasks to agreed quality, time and cost objectives
• Ensure that managers are informed of progress and immediately communicate risks to quality, schedule or cost
• Be responsible for your continued professional development
• Define and execute an appropriate level of verification and validation
• As requested, supervise the work of less experienced engineers and technicians, including:
• Taking responsibility for the quality of their work
• Assisting their delivery to schedule and cost targets
• Supporting their development through mentoring and coaching
• Implement software designs (System Design; Detailed Design & Build; Verification; Technology Management)
What we offer you
Now that we've explained a bit about the role, here's what we can offer you:
• 25 days’ annual leave
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a 1day course to a distant learning degree. If it's relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is pretty competitive
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Governments communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure.
Discover more and apply here.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.