DevOps Engineer Ref. 389
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a DevOps Engineer to join our growing team. What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of products. You'll use your skills and experience to solve a range of engineering challenges whilst working with a variety of engineers and customers. You will have the opportunity to mentor less experienced engineers. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and decide how you want to get the work done, as long as you can deliver.
The primary role purpose is to develop and then support systems in production. The ideal candidate is someone who has a background in secure platforms, networking, automation, infrastructure as code, configuration management and development within enterprise environments. They will also be a good communicator with technical talent to improve user experience through tools and technologies, working closely with the development teams as products I systems move through the lifecycle to in-service and later in life decommissioning.
The candidate must have a proven track record of designing, developing and maintaining dependable tools in support of mission critical systems and products across multiple sites.
• Develop systems for our partners and see those through into deployment, supporting them throughout their lifecycle.
• Provide end to end systems administration, Windows and/or Linux platform engineering, system maintenance and support
• Collaborate with both development and operational teams in a highly automated, continuous deployment, integration and rapid delivery, fast paced environment
• Troubleshoot, diagnose and support applications from source through to deployed systems, identifying and suggesting areas for improvement
• As required, take responsibility for testing, from unit testing of your own code to system and integration testing.
• Use innovative products and technologies to drive continuous improvement across workflow, products and sustain a high pace of delivery.
• Depending on your team, you may also work to ensure 24/7 service availability for strategic customers, ensuring SLAs are met and wherever possible exceeded.
We need you to already have:
1. A working knowledge of either Windows or Linux Operating Systems with technical expertise in system administration including configuration, platform security, troubleshooting and engineering solutions
3. Excellent communications skills and the ability to explain complex systems clearly
4. A strong understanding of Continuous Integration, Deployment and Configuration Management tools (e.g. git, SVN, Bamboo, Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Docker).
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
5. Routing, Switching and Firewalling. An appreciation of how this relates to different parts of a network, such as WANs and LANs
6. Experience of working with enterprise search engines and analytics servers (e.g. Elastic
7. Experience of working with monitoring tools and systems (e.g. SNMP, Nagios)
8. Knowledge of configuring and maintaining databases (e.g. MSSQL, MySQL I Maria DB, MongoDB)
9. Experience of virtual infrastructure - such as virtualised servers and virtualised network infrastructure (e.g. VMware ESXi, Xen, KVM or Hyper-V)
To work as a DevOps Engineer you will be the type of person who:
• Is able to think about multiple ways to solve a problem, and then quickly decide on the best course of action with minimal supervision.
• Knows that it is more important to communicate about delays early and get help than to try to solve a problem on your own.
• Has good time management, including prioritising work and providing realistic estimates.
• Is able to foresee when an issue will affect customers, and communicate this to them early
• Can present your reasoning constructively and persuasively, and to ensure your reasoning is documented.
• Always delivers their best as part of a team and enjoys being the 'go to' person for a topic, as well as knowing who to consult when a problem is out of your area of expertise.
• Likes to deliver projects that strike the right balance between solving the customers' needs, being the best technical solution as well as meeting the needs of our organisation.
• Wants to continue to develop their professional skills, gain a breadth of knowledge of our products, and develop an expertise in a particular area.
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
1. Design, develop and document software to the highest standards.
2. Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code review. 3. Transition products to operations, validating performance against requirements
4. Oversee the product through its life, keeping abreast of relevant technologies / trends and manage the product roadmap.
5. Forge and maintain good relationships with partners and suppliers
6. Provide product support and investigate reported defects.
7. Contribute to project planning and meetings.
8. Supervise or mentor less experienced engineers.
You may be part of the On-Call team and you may have to work outside office of hours, sometimes at short notice. You will receive either time off in lieu or an overtime payment for this work.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
You will join our relaxed and respected team, who are ready to step up when the call comes, whenever it comes.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit the 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.