Linux System Administrator Ref. 396
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Linux System Administrator to join an exciting and growing team.
What makes working at HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to deploy and maintain systems that help protect national security at home and overseas. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality enterprise IT services that is used by a growing number of Government Departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual with the right skills to become part of the Web Systems Administration Team. This team is primarily responsible for the support, maintenance and development of our Web technologies and infrastructure, keeping in line with our technology roadmap. You will need to be proactive whilst adhering to the ITIL best practices framework.
You will have the chance to mentor less experienced Systems Administrators and share your expertise and skills. You will test out and trial cutting edge technologies that are available on the market whilst working within a dynamic and friendly department. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and let you decide how you want to get the work done.
We would need you to already have:
• Experience of working with Linux in an enterprise environment (e.g. CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.)
• Experience of configuring and supporting Web technologies (e.g. LAMP, Tomcat, Java, Postgres.)
• Experience of working with:
o Version control systems (e.g. GIT, Subversion, SourceForge, etc.)
o Continuous Management Toolsets (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, etc.)
o Collaborative development/support toolsets (e.g. JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)
• Application lifecycle support experience (development, test, integration, support)
• Experience in investigating application and system faults /defects .
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• Experience/Knowledge of supporting Proxy Servers.
• Experience of working with:
o Container virtualisation technologies (e.g. Docker)
o Content Management systems (e.g. Alfresco, Drupal)
o Enterprise Search technologies (e.g. SOLR, ElasticSearch)
• Experience of supporting MEAN stack elements (i.e. MongoDB, ExpressJS, Angular, NodeJS)
• ITIL process familiarisation
• System or application design experience
• Familiarity in underlying network service technologies (i.e. DHCP, DNS, firewalls etc.)
• Understanding of requirements management and system testing
To work as an IT Virtual Desktop Engineer you will be the type of person who:
• Assist and guide others who are less experienced or new to their role
• Question assumptions and consider a problem in context
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
• Plan ahead and involve others in a timely way
• Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
• Create and encourage positive working relationships
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
• Keep customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Be a creative problem solver.
• Be able to understand technical detail but also the broader system impact
• Communicate well personally to a variety of audiences
• Provide technical expertise within the department to support both the service and project teams, within the area of technical responsibility
• Build strong relationships (e.g. liaising with others in a clear and professional manner)
• Be open to new ways of working and technologies
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Governments communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.