Project Manager Ref. 405
HMGCC has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our team. You will be leading the delivery of cutting edge communications systems or supporting the development of new capability on our existing infrastructure to maintain highly effective, completely reliable and totally secure communications systems. On projects ranging in duration and complexity, you will coordinate a team of technical experts who are committed to meeting the needs of our government in the UK and around the globe.
As a Project Manager, it is desirable that you have an understanding of product development in a software or electronics engineering environment and must have experience in communicating effectively with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels within an organisation . We are looking for someone with a hands-on, flexible style who is keen to take an innovative approach to deliver the technology of tomorrow. In this role you may also have the opportunity to deliver business change projects, to meet the needs of an evolving organisation.
We would need you to:
- Be well-versed in the tools, techniques and best practices of project management
- Have practical experience delivering a broad range of projects on schedule, within budget and to agreed quality standards
- Work effectively with senior stakeholders to manage delivery expectations
- Demonstrate successful team leadership leading multi-disciplined teams
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
- Evidence of delivery achieved through a range of project and development methodologies
- Experience of change management or the delivery of business change projects
- Hold a level of professional accreditation and membership of a recognised project management body like APM
- Experience of working with MS Project and Enterprise Project Management (EPM), or similar systems
To work as a Project Manager you will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention
- Act as a role model and challenge others to develop as leaders
- Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard
- Has excellent communication skills and enjoys talking to others to find out more about what they need and how you can help them
- Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results you need.
- Is excited by a challenge, being level headed and confident in your ability to do your best even if under pressure
- Is pro-active about maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Be responsible for successful definition, scoping and delivery of projects at HMGCC
- Lead project planning,scheduling, monitoring and reporting activities; review progress against identified project health indicators to identify areas of concern and where possible improve performance
- Identify, recommend and seek agreement for options to deliver the project and manage the subsequent baseline plan or change in strategy; Seek to actively pre-empt impending exception conditions and potential issues and manage them effectively, working in accordance within existing governance requirements
- Lead risk management and project assurance activities, successfully managing technical and commercial risks as part of successful project delivery; preparation and maintenance of project, quality and risk plans
- Monitor and control resources to ensure the project is delivered within planned cost, timescale and quality measures; define and set work packages for individuals and provide performance feedback to the individual with the visibility of the line manager
- Maintain and enhance good stakeholder relations through effective communications; report progress and issues appropriately and efficiently so as to avoid surprises; ensure that teams work in an efficient and co-ordinated manner; build and maintain team motivation and focus and ensure that conflict is effectively managed
- Identify and report emergent trends and lessons learnt within projects that could improve efficiency and effectiveness across HMGCC
- Support the Project Management community by identifying improvements to project management processes and assist in the implementation of these to achieve benefits across all HMGCC projects
- Remain up to date on development in the project management profession
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.