DevOps Engineer Ref. 321
HMGCC's IT Service Operations Centre has been incredibly successful 'insourcing' Government IT, leading to growth and service expansion. We now have a great opportunity for an experienced systems engineer, system administrator or DevOps engineer to support this.
We provide secure IT shared services to a large number of Government departments, bringing great cost efficiency, but also agility, quality and cyber security. We're serious about developing our staff, with real training and career development opportunities. We believe in promoting a positive working environment, building a culture of openness, sharing and a real work-life balance. We recognise and reward excellence and support creativity and input from all staff. We balance support, integration and development throughout all technical teams and, needless to say, Government IT security is paired with real job security.
Our work isn't about profit; it's about making a real difference.
We would need you to already have:
• Experience working with Linux in an enterprise environment (e.g. CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.)
• Familiarity with any or all elements of a MEAN stack or equivalent (e.g. MongoDB / ExpressJS / Angular / NodeJS)
• Application lifecycle support experience (development, integration, support)
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• Experience working with:
o Container virtualisation technology (e.g. Docker)
o version control systems (e.g. Git)
o Configuration management toolsets (e.g. Chef, Puppet)
o Continuous Integration technology and approaches (e.g. Jenkins)
o Collaborative development / support toolset experience (e.g. JIRA)
• ITIL process familiarisation
• System or application design experience
• Understanding of requirements management and system testing
• Network services understanding (e.g. forward/reverse proxy servers, DNS)
• Security technology understanding (e.g. PKI, OpenSSL, HTTPS, keys/certificates)
To work as a DevOps Engineer you will be the type of person who:
• Shares knowledge openly and is open to input and ideas
• Is a creative problem solver; able to understand both technical detail but also broader system impact
• Is focused on delivery; setting realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicates well personally and in writing to a variety of audiences
• Builds strong relationships in a collaborative team
• Respects customer needs and priorities, always looking to improve services
• Is open to new ways of working and technologies
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Design, build, test and deploy web applications and system enhancements
• Investigate application and system faults / defects
• Identify performance, capacity, reliability and usability enhancements
• Provide technical expertise within the department for projects and service support, respective to your areas of technical responsibility
• Share your knowledge openly with other team members
• Liaise with customers and other organisations in a clear and professional manner
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us‘ page.
*Actual value of welcome package dependant on individual’s experience, negotiable with the Recruitment Team. If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note short-listing for this position will not be conducted until after the close date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.