Information Security Architect Ref. 665
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Flexible working requests will be considered
Do you want to make a difference in the UK and around the globe? Like to challenge your technical security knowledge? Want to improve your security and assurance skills?
The Service Operations Centre (SOC) Security Architect is a crucial position at the heart of the department and wider organisation’s Information Security team.
You will use your expert knowledge to define and manage the implementation of appropriate technical security strategies for the SOC’s capabilities, while ensuring that its current systems remain secure. You will help lead ambitious collaboration across the department and partners, , essential to enabling the shared technical environments and support services.
To do so you’ll bring your strong technical background and have a broad knowledge of a wide range of technical and security disciplines; thus, establishing yourself as an essential member of a highly skilled and motivated team.
You’ll build and develop your management, Information security and assurance skills; utilising your existing IT and Cyber Security skills, all whilst working at the cutting edge of cyber security technology. You will have significant exposure to, and the opportunity to influence, security strategy in the wider organisation as the joint Information Security teams work seamlessly across common technology and future cloud-based platforms and capabilities.
You will have access to relevant training, including external courses, to ensure you are equipped to fulfil the role and continue your personal and professional development.
More About You
You’ll already have:
• A recognised Cyber Security qualification such as NCSC Certified Cyber Professional (CCP) or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or equivalent experience
• Strong analytical skills
• The ability to understand, adapt and architect complex systems
To strengthen your application, you’ll also have one or more of the following:
• A background in cryptographic systems and/or key management
• Experience of identity management, access and authentication methodologies
• Experience of high assurance systems involving cross domain solutions
• Defence or national security domain knowledge, including any background in UK defence Information Assurance systems and processes
• Strong verbal and written communication and negotiating skills, including the ability to present to Director level forums
Your Personal Skills
You’ll be the type of person who:
• Enjoys coming up with creative solutions
• Wants to improve on yesterday – striving to be the best you can
• Maintains focus and momentum within the team to achieve change
• Establishes strong working relationships
• Can go with the flow. Change is a big part of our organisation. You’ll be able to adapt with the support of your team and management
• Keeps customers informed about progress and the bigger picture
• Manages tensions between requirements and communicates priorities
Putting your skills to use
Using your diverse range of skills within the Information Assurance Team, you’ll:
• Interpret business requirements to provide Information Assurance guidance, contribute to and write technical IT security documentation and policies to guide solutions architects designing new systems and throughout the delivery process
• Develop and promote Information Assurance architectural patterns and methodologies
• Advise implementors about the best ways to meet policy requirements and support the accreditors in keeping risk at an acceptable level throughout IT systems operational life
• Work closely with counterparts across government (and potentially in future, the international community), to devise innovative security approaches that balance information risk with organisational agility
• Work with support teams, delivery programmes, the chief technology officer team and wider technical teams to ensure that these approaches are incorporated into the organisation’s plans and that the anticipated security benefits are delivered successfully
What we offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• Paid overtime or TOIL. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• A competitive Pension scheme
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re the right fit for you, please click here.
Discover more and apply here. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.