Technical Lead Ref. 476
We're looking to grow our cadre of people that technically lead and manage our software and hardware product development projects. Whether you've specialised in leading just software or hardware developments, or have experience across both, you'll be critical to our ability to deliver successfully.
Those that lead our software developments will be creating technologies that solve some of the most difficult cyber challenges. Those that lead our hardware developments will be bringing together the contributions of a range of hardware and software related engineering disciplines and working with our impressive in-house prototyping and manufacturing services. In either case, the resulting products and technologies will solve challenges across a diverse range of security and information domains that are either too niche or too sensitive to be undertaken elsewhere.
You'll be responsible for defining, planning, monitoring, and controlling the work of your development team. You'll typically work alongside project managers, and choose how to split your time between leading the team and doing hands-on development work. In addition, our more experienced Technical Leads contribute to driving and sharing good practice across HMGCC through mentoring and/or line managing other Technical Leads.
We would need you to already have:
Actual experience of leading product development projects where your role has been to define and understand the technical elements of the solution, liaise with customers, and directly lead the development team. This will have involved:
- Eliciting, managing, and constructively challenging customer requirements
- Solution concept generation, analysis, and trade -off
- Architectural design
- Directly leading teams of engineers working on a range of technologies, ideally
- including technologies not personally familiar to you
- Managing technical risks affecting the project delivery
- Direction of engineering project integration, verification and validation activitiesManaging customer/stakeholder relationships
- Software: Experience of working in, and ideally leading, software projects involving a range of technologies related to Windows, Linux or Mac. For example, server-client architecture, database, cloud technologies, networking, and application development
- Hardware: Experience of working in, and ideally leading, hardware development projects involving engineering disciplines such as electronics, RF, mechanical, and production
A practical understanding of principles and techniques used in shaping and managing the technical aspects of engineering projects, and experience in applying them under a range of development methodologies
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have experience of:
- Security engineering or information assurance, including threat modelling and preparation of system accreditation evidence
- Engineering sectors such as telecoms, defence, or ICT
- Using modelling tools, languages, and frameworks to support and communicate your work (Enterprise Architect is our preferred tool)
- Line management; performance appraisal and difficult conversations
To work as a Technical Lead you will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys solving problems, and helping others to work together to solve theirs
- Reflects on and learns from experience; who drives their own professional development
- Enjoys working with a range of experts, knowing when and how to draw on their expertise to help you deliver project requirements
- Is confident in dealing with uncertainty, helping others to reduce and manage ambiguity around potential ways forward
- Enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with latest technologies
- Can communicate complex technical information to those without a technical background in an engaging and effective way
- Is adept at tailoring approaches to get the right balance between pace and rigour
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit http://www.hmgcc.gov.uk/about-us/
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This is a rolling campaign and short listing will be undertaken on a regular basis/ Please note short listing will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.