Systems Engineer Ref. 477
We're looking to grow our cadre of people that make sure we're building the software and hardware products that actually meet our customers' needs. That means understanding those needs and their context, identifying solution approaches, defining our systems engineering approaches, and dealing with the complexity we encounter during product development. Irrespective of your particular engineering background, and working closely with our customers, you'll be critical to our ability to deliver successfully.
Whether you're working above the project level shaping the project development projects we need to undertake, or working within a project development team, you'll be solving challenges across a diverse range of security and information domains that are either too niche or too sensitive to be undertaken elsewhere.
You'll be responsible for engaging with stakeholders to help them articulate their underlying needs, identifying the best solution approaches to take, and working to secure and maintain stakeholder engagement in the technologies and products we develop for them. You'll define the high level solution architecture, and help other engineers, or teams of engineers, to ensure that the products or subsystems they're developing will successfully integrate to meet stakeholders' needs. In addition, our more experienced Systems Engineers contribute to driving and sharing good engineering practice across HMGCC through mentoring and/or line managing other Systems Engineers.
We would need you to already have:
Actual experience of development engineering where your role has been to surface customer needs, identify solution approaches/choices, and define the solution. This will typically have involved:
- Eliciting, managing, and constructively challenging customer requirements
- Solution concept generation, analysis, and trade-off
- High level/architectural design
- Management of technical risk
- Influencing both technical and non-technical stakeholders to secure and maintain their engagement
Experience of carrying out the above in the one or more of the following application areas:
- Software/IT: Software development projects involving a range of technologies related to Windows, Linux or Mac. For example, server-client architecture, database, cloud technologies, networking, and application development
- Hardware: Hardware development projects involving engineering disciplines such as electronics, RF, mechanical, and production
- Programme/Portfolio: Engineering co-ordination of multiple, related software/hardware development projects, including architecture/interface ownership and responsibility for overall integration success
- A practical understanding of principles and techniques used in shaping and managing the technical aspects of development engineering, and experience in applying them under a range of development methodologies
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have experience of:
- Security engineering or information assurance, including threat modelling and preparation of system accreditation evidence
- Engineering sectors such as telecoms, defence, or ICT
- Using modelling tools, languages, and frameworks to support and communicate your work (Enterprise Architect is our preferred tool)
- Line management; performance appraisal and difficult conversations
To work as a Systems Engineer you will be the type of person who:
- Understands the value of thinking in terms of systems, and is able to apply it to a range of contexts to get to the root of an issue
- Enjoys solving problems, and helping others to work together to solve theirs
- Reflects on and learns from experience; who drives their own professional development
- Is curious, with an openness to learning and sharing
- Relishes the opportunity to manage complex customer requirements, leading to in-depth discussions to find out what they really need
- Is confident in dealing with uncertainty,helping others to reduce and manage ambiguity around potential ways forward
- Enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with latest technologies
- Can communicate complex technical information to those without a technical background in an engaging and effective way
- Is adept at tailoring approaches to get the right balance between pace and rigour, and to prioritise their time between competing demands
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit http://www.hmgcc.gov.uk/about-us/
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This is a rolling campaign and short listing will be undertaken on a regular basis/Please note short listing will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.