Associate Application/ Database Support Engineer Ref. 584
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an entry level Application Support Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software applications. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The Application Support Team provides daily 2nd line technical support for COTS and in-house developed software applications and associated databases. We are also responsible for database maintenance & monitoring ensuring system availability and data integrity, testing of new or updated applications and change management when introducing new or updated software applications.
We would need you to already have:
- Knowledge of supporting some of the following:
o Databases - Microsoft SQL Server
o Operating systems - Windows
o Enterprise COTS applications
- Experience of working in a 5/2nd line application support in a technical environment.
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
- Experience of Information Technology Information Library (ITIL) best practice
- Experience of software evaluation, testing, implementation & deployment
- Experience of working with formal design and build documentation
- Experience of working with LINUX CENTOS
- Experience of working with Web Servers - llS
- Experience of working with Virtual Infrastructure - VMWare
- Experience of working with Jira, BitBucket and confluence
To work as an Associate Application Support Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
- Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism. Inspire others by your own commitment.
- Think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions. Know when to refer issues to others, and draw on expertise.
- Plan ahead, and manage your workload. Follow policies, processes and regulations. Pay attention to detail and be conscientious.
- Explain information in a clear and logical way. Listen and take account of other people's views.
- Create and encourage positive working relationships
- Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
- Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting your Skills to Use
- Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Engage with the customer to tease out requirements; respond proactively to service desk requests, within agreed or published SLA timescales.
- Maintain, monitor and support corporate COTS systems and developed software applications.
- Identify and inform the project teams of issues related to that particular application/project.
- Maintain awareness of relevant technologies anticipating new trends in software arenas; disseminating information to team members using appropriate medium.
- Forge and maintain good working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and
- Work within defined and documented procedural operations.
- Work under supervision contributing to the support of corporate COTS systems and developed software applications.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us link'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.