IT System Engineer (Infrastructure) Ref. 599
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an IT System Engineer (Infrastructure) to join a growing team.
What makes working at HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to deploy and maintain systems that help protect national security at home and overseas. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality enterprise IT services that is used by a growing number of Government Departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual with the right skills to become part of the Infrastructure Support Team. This team is primarily responsible for the support, maintenance and development of our storage and virtualisation solution, keeping in line with our technology roadmap. You will need to be proactive whilst adhering to the ITIL best practices framework.
You will have the chance to mentor less experienced IT Infrastructure Engineers and share your expertise and skills. You will test out and trial cutting edge technologies that are available on the market whilst working within a dynamic and friendly department. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and let you decide how you want to get the work done.
We would need you to already have:
• An in-depth knowledge of deploying and supporting current versions of Windows Server
• An awareness of virtualisation technologies
• Proficient in TCP/IP networking, DNS,MS Active Directory and Group Policy
• Experience of service delivery in a technical environment from design through to live deployment
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Experience of Enterprise Storage devices such as NetApp
• Experience with current versions of VMWare infrastructure
• Experience with providing the infrastructure for a VDI solution such as Citrix XenDesktop
• Working experience with enterprise backup and antivirus solutions
• Proficient skills in PowerShell
• Knowledge and practical experience in other scripting languages
• Experience of creating formal design and build documentation
• Knowledge and practical experience of enterprise monitoring solutions such as Nagios
• Working knowledge and awareness of the ITIL best practice framework
• Practical knowledge of Cisco switches and firewall devices
• Experience in Linux and open source products
• Experience of hardening IT systems in order to make them more secure
• Experience of deployment technologies such as Ansible and Desired State
• Experience of supporting and maintain multi sites infrastructure
To work as an IT Infrastructure Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Assist and guide others who are less experienced or new to their role
• Question assumptions and consider a problem in context
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
• Plan ahead and involve others in a timely way
• Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
• Create and encourage positive working relationships
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
• Keep customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Represent the organisation at external meetings for your specific areas of responsibility (Including technical, policy and service delivery issues)
• Be involved in the building, testing and implementation of significant system enhancements
• Leading and co-ordinating large scale Problem investigations
• Proactively identifying system performance optimisation opportunities
• Reviewing, revising and creating low-level design documentation
• Providing expert subject matter technical input, including providing team training
• Providing stand in leadership and team support when required
• Owning projects from beginning to end
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.