IT System Engineer (Virtual Desktop) Ref. 608
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an IT System Engineer (Virtual Desktop) to join a growing team.
What makes working at HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to deploy and maintain systems that help protect national security at home and overseas. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality enterprise IT services that is used by a growing number of Government Departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual with the right skills to become part of the Virtual Desktop Support Team. This team is primarily responsible for the support, maintenance and development of our virtual desktop infrastructure, keeping in line with our technology roadmap. You will need to be proactive whilst adhering to the ITIL best practices framework.
You will have the chance to mentor less experienced Virtual Desktop Engineers and share your expertise and skills. You will test out and trial cutting edge technologies that are available on the market whilst working within a dynamic and friendly department. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and let you decide how you want to get the work done.
We would need you to already have:
• Experience/knowledge of Citrix desktop virtualisation technologies (i.e. XenDesktop, Provisioning Services, etc.)
• Knowledge of thin client technologies and development strategies
• Experience of Microsoft technologies (Active Directory/GPO's)
• Experience of working with Linux in an enterprise environment (e.g. CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.)
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Application lifecycle support experience (development, integration, support)
• ITIL process familiarisation
• PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) experience (e.g. Entrust, Microsoft Certificate Authorities)
• Development experience of MEAN stack elements (i.e. MongoDB, ExpressJS, Angular, NodeJS)
• Experience of working with:
o Container virtualisation technologies (e.g. Docker)
o Version control systems (e.g. GIT, Subversion, SourceForge, etc.)
o Continuous Management Toolsets (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, etc.)
o Continuous Integration Technologies and approaches (i.e. Jenkins)
o Collaborative development/support toolsets (e.g.JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)
• System or application design experience
• Familiarity in underlying network service technologies (i.e. DHCP, DNS, proxies etc.)
• Understanding of requirements management and system testing
• Experience in investigating application and system faults /defects
To work as an IT Virtual Desktop Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Assist and guide others who are less experienced or new to their role
• Question assumptions and consider a problem in context
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions
• Plan ahead and involve others in a timely way
• Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
• Create and encourage positive working relationships
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
• Keep customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Be a creative problem solver
• Be able to understand technical detail but also the broader system impact
• Communicate well personally to a variety of audiences
• Provide technical expertise within the department to support both the service and project teams, within the area of technical responsibility
• Build strong relationships (e.g. liaising with others in a clear and professional manner)
• Be open to new ways of working and technologies
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.