IT System Engineer Ref.553
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an IT System Engineer to join a growing team.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services used by a growing number of Government Departments following the ITIL best practice framework.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual with the chosen skills to become part of the Application Support Team. This team is primarily responsible for the support, maintenance and the development of our core business solutions in line with our technology roadmap.
You will have the chance to mentor less experienced IT System Engineers and share your expertise; you will get to trial cutting edge technologies that are available on the market, working in a dynamic and friendly department. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and decide how you want to get the work done.
We would need you to already have:
- Working experience with the current versions of MS Windows Server Operating Systems
- A good knowledge of the current versions of MS Exchange Server (desirable: within a Multi Tenancy configuration).
- Proven experience of customer service delivery in a technical environment, from project through to live services
- Proficient in MS Active Directory administration, Group Policies and concepts
- Proven experience in task automation via PowerShell
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
- Working involvement and awareness of the ITIL best practice framework
- Experience with DNS, liS
- Practical experience with Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Experience with Citrix presentation Server and XenApp
- Experience with Linux and Open source products
- Experience of creating formal design and build documentation
- Working knowledge of enterprise virtualization and storage
- Knowledge and practical experience in other scripting Languages (Jscript,VBScript, Bash)
- Experience with current versions of Microsoft SQL, including High Availability Technologies and Transact SQL (Query Language)
- Practical knowledge of Print technologies including TCP/IP and IPPS
- Knowledge of supporting .NET Applications
To work as an IT System Administrator, you will be the type of person who can:
- Assists and guides others who are less experienced or new to their role and recognise good performance
- Questions assumptions and considers a problem in context
- Thinks creatively and generates innovative approaches and solutions
- Plans ahead and involves others in a timely way
- Sets clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
- Communicates with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
- Creates and encourages positive working relationships
- Promotes new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
- Keeps customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
- Encourages and enables others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Represent the organisation at external meetings for specific areas of responsibility (Including technical, policy and service delivery issues)
- Be involved in the building, testing and implementation of significant system enhancements
- Be leading and coordinating of large scale Problem investigations
- Proactively identify system performance optimisation opportunities
- Be reviewing, revising and creating low-level design documentation
- Be providing expert subject matter technical input, including providing team training
- Be providing stand in leadership and team support when required
- Be owning projects from beginning to end
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Governments communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.