Software Infrastructure Engineer Ref. 663
Software Infrastructure Engineer
With an additional £1,500 annual skills allowance
Welcome package £2,500*
Full time/ Part time and flexible working patterns are available
World leading software's nothing without world leading Infrastructure to run it...
You’ve got the skills to build the infrastructure to allow systems to thrive. You’ll be part of a team alongside our software developers, bringing your expertise to build the environments to boost their deployments. More importantly, you’ll build your own systems to deliver value to our customers and help them achieve their goals.
You’re the person the makes ideas become real. You’ll develop, deliver and support the platforms needed to deploy on. You’ll work on systems that make a difference to the safety of the UK, and your infrastructure will be critical. You’ll enjoy coming up with creative solutions for global systems that contribute to national security.
*More About You*
You will already have:
o Operating systems including Windows and Linux Distributions
o Networking fundamentals including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP
o Network elements such as the role of switches and firewalls
We know that an Infrastructure Engineer covers a lot of ground, so that’s why we’ve split the required knowledge up. Whether you’re comfortable working in the Cloud, with physical kit, or writing code that can auto-deploy systems – we need your skills. We're keen on people who can do any of these and we’ll help you develop the rest.
So, you’ll have a deeper understanding of one of these groups of skills, and be familiar with the rest.
o AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
o Building cloud infrastructure or applications
o Cloud networking and security services
o Benefits of cloud vs on-premise
Automation and Infrastructure as Code
o Automation: Terraform, Ansible or Puppet
o Scripting: PowerShell, Bash or Python
o Deploying infrastructure
o Automated deployment strategies
o CI/CD pipelines creation: Jenkins, Bamboo, GitLab or Cloud based pipelines
o Supporting software with deployment platforms
o Automated testing
o Source control technologies: git
o Container technologies: Docker/Docker Swarm, Kubernetes or OpenShift
Enterprise Software and Tools
o Windows or Linux Enterprise utilities: Active Directory and Group Policy
o Virtualisation platforms: Hyper-V or vSphere
You should also have an understanding of:
o Operating systems
o Securing Windows and Linux OS’
To strengthen your application, you may have one or more of the following:
• Knowledge in several of the above groups
• Relevant work experience, equivalent to/ or, a 2-1 or greater relevant Degree
• Knowledge of secure networking protocols, encryption and compression
*Your Personal Skills*
You will be the type of person who:
• Enjoys coming up with creative solutions
• Makes mistakes. And learns from them
• Enjoys being part of a team. Helping others to deliver or being guided by them yourself.
• Can go with the flow. Change is a big part of our organisation. You will be able to adapt with the support of your team and management
• Is keen to continually improve both technical and non-technical skills
*Putting your skills to use*
What makes HMGCC different is that you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the complete process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of systems whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. We’ll give you the opportunity to be creative, working in your own way, as long as you deliver. We ask that in return you have a willingness to learn.
Your day involves:
1. Designing, developing and documenting systems to the highest standards
2. Verifying designs by creating and implementing functional and integration tests
3. Supporting products and investigating reported defects
4. Contributing to project planning and meetings
You’re probably wondering about the tech stack? You can use whatever’s best to get the job done, but of course we’ve got some preferred options:
• Virtualization, Containerisation and Docker, with AWS, Azure, VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors
• Monitoring and Managing with Atlassian
• Hosting applications written in Java, C#, C++, or Python
• Deploying to Windows or Linux
*What we Offer*
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classis cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Relocation Package*
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
HMGCC protects national security at home and overseas. You will play an integral part in ensuing that the Government’s communications systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. You will join an inclusive environment that will give you all the tools, support and training to develop and be the best that you can be. Find out more about us on our website.
Please click the apply button below. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.