Senior Project Manager Ref. 677
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday, flexible working patterns will be considered.
Do you want to make a difference in the UK and around the globe? Do you enjoy managing projects through to delivery? Want a better work-life balance?
In the Service Operations Centre (SOC) you’ll support IT services for Government departments in the UK and around the globe.
You’ll bring your existing project management experience to deliver projects to help the UK thrive within the future digital world providing next generation capabilities for our diverse customer base to protect our national security interests.
No two projects will be the same, one project could involve you delivering a new communication system, the next could be developing a new capability on our existing infrastructure.
You’ll join a team that has a wide variety of project experience from traditional Waterfall/Agile, to the new systems thinking methodologies, and you’ll bring your own views and ideas to collaborate and help deliver our future operating model.
More About You
You’ll already have:
• Experience delivering a range of small to large business change or IT projects
• Commercial awareness including managing and monitoring project costs and budgets
• An understanding and experience of both Agile and Waterfall methodologies
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
• Experience working under broad direction in unpredictable environments
• The ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders and facilitating collaboration
• Excellent communication skills with the desire to take on management responsibilities
Your Personal Skills
You’ll be the type of person who:
• Enjoys working with people with a diverse range of skills, sharing ideas about how to get the results needed
• Adopts a planned approach to implementing change
• Works with customers to establish clear desired outcomes and expectations
• Acts as a role model and encourages others to develop as leaders
• Understands the audience, anticipating reactions and preparing a response that addresses concerns
• Demonstrates a strong financial awareness and considers financial information in decision making
• Anticipates risks and makes use of effective risk management procedures
Putting your skills to use
Using your expertise within the Project Management team, you will:
• Work across the business to ensure that we deliver projects on time, within budget and to sufficient quality
• Get involved in developing our delivery framework and help to create a model that could become the next big future way of working
• Be responsible for successful definition, scoping and delivery of projects
• Lead planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting activities
• Maintain and enhance good stakeholder relations through effective communications; report progress and issues appropriately and effectively so as to avoid surprises; ensure teams work in an efficient and co-ordinated manner; build and maintain team motivation and focus and ensure conflict is effectively managed
• Lead risk management and project assurance activities, successfully managing technical and commercial risks as part of successful delivery; preparation and maintenance of project, quality and risk plans
• Remain up to date on development in the project delivery profession
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• A competitive Pension scheme
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re the right fit for you, please click here.
Discover more and apply by clicking 'apply' below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.