Workstation Engineer (Associate) Ref. 431
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an Associate Workstation Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The Workstation Team provide support for corporate workstations & associated peripherals, enabling HMGCC and its customers to best use and integrate ICT infrastructure more effectively. Part of a growing team, this role provides 1st and 2nd line technical support depending on skill-set. Engineers will be involved in incident & problem resolution, assisting with change programmes, upgrades and new system installations. The role-holder will work to agreed SLAs in support of business and ICT service continuity & disaster recovery.
We would need you to already have:
• Working knowledge of software environments including:
o Windows Desktop Operating System
o Awareness of Network Protocols
o Supporting MS Office
• Proven experience of customer service in a technical environment.
• Familiarity with PC hardware and peripherals, administration and troubleshooting operating systems and applications (including PC diagnostics).
• Knowledge of Anti-Virus measures.
• Experience in software functionality, testing and deployment.
• Experience working with formal design and build documentation.
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• ITIL best practice working involvement and awareness.
• Experience of working in an environment where change is common and are adaptable to it.
To work as a Workstation Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Set an example in high standards and values to others, show integrity and professionalism. Assist and guide others who are less experienced.
• Think creatively and generate innovative approaches and solutions.
• Plan ahead and involve others in a timely manner. Set clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines.
• Communicate with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside of the organisation. Promote ideas and initiatives.
• Create and encourage positive working relationships.
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Contribute to the maximum availability of corporate ICT systems throughout HMGCC and other external customer sites, identifying and assisting with the implementation of any necessary developments.
• Resolve challenging/complex technical issues in response to service desk requests for corporate workstations and associated peripherals, planned upgrades or system configuration changes. Ensuring that all incidents and activities are resolved within published SLA timescales.
• Technology, innovation and improvement of processes
• Maintain awareness with current technologies relevant to service delivery within HMGCC and disseminate to colleagues appropriately.
• Be involved in technology update briefings as appropriate.
• Provide service desk operator coverage when required.
• Forge good working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and OGDs.
• Work to defined and documented procedural operations.
• Work under supervision to contribute to the support of corporate workstations and associated peripherals, enabling HMGCC and its partners to best use and integrate ICT infrastructure more effectively.
• Operating within a range of developed proficient disciplines, utilising skills and expertise gained including related technical qualification and/or vocational experience to carry out assigned work packages.
• As requested, to supervise the work of less experienced engineers and technicians, including:
o Taking responsibility for the quality of their work.
o Assisting their delivery to schedule.
o Supporting their development through mentoring and coaching.
• Determine alternative approaches or solutions to problems, referring to specific examples of success and achievement where this would contribute to team success.
• Has a good level of understanding and competence in other component disciplines of the corporate support areas to understand how these might be impacted by change.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us’ page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.