Security Engineer Ref. 771
Are you a Security Engineer who wants to apply their skills in a high-tech organisation which produces bespoke and unique products across a wide range of technologies?
You’ll bring your versatile approach to problem solving to apply your skills across a range of technologies from desktop, virtualisation technologies (VMWare, Hyper-v etc), Windows/Linux infrastructure and networking through to the cloud. The work will be a mix of hands-on engineering, consulting to help shape current and future architecture, advising other engineering teams on how to work securely and investigations.
You will use your skills and experience to protect the sophisticated engineering solutions developed by the organisation.
The Information Security Team is a small, high-performing team which works closely with the IT teams and engineering development teams to ensure the technical protections around the organisation’s work are effective.
You will get involved in a range of activities from the engineering of security solutions, technical investigation of security incidents, providing technical security advice through to assessing the technical risks in new technologies.
The work is varied and often changes direction unexpectedly. You’ll enjoy an environment where you often respond reactively to unexpected challenges at short notice. Your communication skills will enable you to collaborate with other subject matter experts and to learn from them to further broaden your knowledge. You’ll also have access to a flexible and generous training package to continue your development of technical skills and to acquire new ones.
This position is available for between 19 - 37 hours per week Monday to Friday. Flexible working hours are available. Homeworking is possible most weeks for 1-2 days.
More About You
You’ll already have:
- A proven track record in engineering Windows/Linux solutions in an enterprise IT context
- A proven track record in developing effective networking solutions
- Experience with providing VMWare solutions
To strengthen your application, it would be beneficial if you have one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
- Experience/qualifications in cloud security
- Experience with common tools for information security management
- Practical experience in information security
- A broad understanding of and interest in technologies outside your immediate expertise (including radio frequency engineering, communication technologies and mobile technologies)
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Relishes the challenge of delivering innovative solutions
- Is keen to carry on learning and self-development
- Isn’t afraid to make mistakes but shares the consequent learning experience
- Works well with others and is a good team player
- Embraces change and is willing to ‘make it work’
- Is a good communicator and can express complex technical concepts to a range of non-technical stakeholders
Putting your skills to use
Using your range of skills, you’ll:
- Make a valuable contribution to keeping HMGCC’s assets secure
- Work to augment the value the Information Security Team brings to the organisation
- Support HMGCC in achieving its strategic and business aims securely
- Provide innovative solutions to the unique engineering challenges our context brings
- Help develop future infrastructure securely
- Contribute to the migration to the cloud
- Play an active role in investigations and incident analysis
- Work collaboratively with peers in other government departments
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether it’s classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Discover more and click ‘apply’.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
The closing date for this role is 23:55 on Thursday 25th August 2022.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.