IT Lab Technician Ref. 721
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday/Part-time position considered
Want to build an IT career that means something?
With your interest and talent for IT, you’ll become the go to person keeping one of our engineering teams running smoothly.
You’ll provide wide ranging administrative IT support for Windows or Linux machines from installing updates, configuring software and managing equipment records, to setting up and cabling networks, server maintenance and troubleshooting. Depending on which of our teams you join, you could also be trialling test kit or following or creating test specs. It’s safe to say, no two days are the same and you’ll have plenty to get stuck into.
You’ll be interested in developing in your field and will be given all the support you need to have the career you want, whilst helping enable the UK Government to produce reliable and totally secure communication systems to protect national security. It doesn’t get much more important than that.
More About You
You’ll already have:
- Experience with computer admin tasks, like
- Keeping Windows or Linux machines up to date
- Installing and configuring software
- Installing new computer hardware components
- Experience in troubleshooting basic technical issues
Your application would be strengthened by also having one or more of the following (but these are not essential):
- Familiarity with Networking, such as TCP/IP, DNS and DHCP
- Familiarity with Windows or Linux Operating Systems distributions
- Experience of securing Windows or Linux
- Familiarity with network elements, such as the role of switches and firewalls
- Experience of Virtualisation or Cloud technologies
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Enjoys being busy and can prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- Wants to be the ‘go to’ person when a team member needs help
- Enjoys problem solving and coming up with creative long-term solutions
- Enjoys being part of a team, from offering to take on the routine tasks, as well as effectively managing more exciting duties.
- Enjoys learning and can adapt to change with the support of your team and management.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
- 8 Bank Holiday days off in addition to your annual leave.
- 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive and low effort to set up!
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We foster an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident – Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before, that’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from various backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
Find out more about us, and if we’re right for you, on our website.
Discover more and apply but clicking ‘apply’ below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.