Software Developer Ref. 722
Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
Looking for your next step? So are we.
You’ll bring your technical expertise and ideas to create and maintain innovative, bespoke software products for our customers at home and overseas.
Joining a team of developers, you’ll work on software projects, products and solutions to protect national security. You may not know all the details yet, but you soon will.
No two days will be the same, one day you could be producing code to introduce new features to a product, the next you could be collaborating with a team on design decisions on how to implement a change.
We use the DDaT Software Developer Role, at Developer Level:
• Availability and Capacity Management: Working
• Information Security: Practitioner
• Modern Standards Approach: Practitioner
• Programming and Build: Practitioner
• Prototyping: Practitioner
• Service support: Practitioner
• Systems Design: Practitioner
• Systems Integration: Practitioner
• User Focus: Practitioner
For us that means, we need you to already be able to:
• Design, develop and test software in one or more of C, C++, C# or Java
• Develop for one or more of Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS or Android
• Understand and intelligently debug both existing and new software
• Deliver modules of software systems unaided
• Deploy your practical experience of software engineering (requirements capture, system design, design for test)
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
• Knowing when to use different technologies and approaches
• Knowledge of networking (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, Protocol Buffers, using encryption and compression)
• Scripting skills using Python, PowerShell or Bash
• Experience of TDD, Agile, Scrum
• Experience of Unit Testing and Static Analysis
• Experience of Continuous Integration and Delivery pipeline technologies
• Knowledge of common vulnerabilities of your preferred products
• Aware of capacity monitoring tools
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who:
· Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills
· Enjoys working with other skilled engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results
· Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive to finish projects to a high standard without getting stuck on adding extra features
· Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You know when to step away from best practice
· Can manage your own workload and is able to adapt to changing demands on your time
· Recognises performance in others and encourages them to build on their strengths
· Puts plans in place to make improvements
· Works with customers to clearly understand their desired outcomes and expectations
Putting your skills to use
You’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the full process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. You can be creative, working in your own way towards delivery. All we ask for in return is that you have a willingness to learn and to take on responsibility.
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
1. Design, develop and document software to the highest standards
2. Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews
3. Support products and investigate reported defects
4. Contribute to project planning and meetings
What we offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
· 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
· 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
· 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
· Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it’s needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that
· Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
· Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive and easy to set up
· Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you
· On site nursery (subject to availability)
· Free parking
· Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
· Relocation Package*
· Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We foster an inclusive environment and support for everyone
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before, that’s because our main customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from various backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, with training and support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
Read our website to find out more about us and if we’re the right fit for you.
You’ll complete a short application form and complete an online programming test. This will assess your problem solving, debugging and diagnostics skills. If successful, you will be invited to interview.
Interviews are held in two rounds. Your first will be a technical interview; if you are successful at this stage, you will be invited back for an HR and Occupational Psychologist interview.
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
*if you are moving to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.