Product Support Engineer (Associate) Ref. 456
This is a full time role but flexible working patterns will be considered.
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Product Support Engineer to join our growing team, where you will have the opportunity to be creative and work with the latest technology.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of hardware and software products. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality IT services using best practice, as recommended in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) .
The Product Support Team provides daily 2nd line technical support for COTS and in-house developed software products and associated databases. We are also responsible for database maintenance & monitoring ensuring system availability and data integrity, software testing of new or updated applications and change management when introducing new or updated software products.
We would need you to already have:
• Knowledge of some of the following:
o Databases - Microsoft SQL Server & Informix
o Operating systems - Windows & LINUX (RedHat/Centos0)
o Web Servers - llS & Apache
o Enterprise COTS - Finance, ERP, EPM & HR
o Virtual Infrastructure - VMWare tools
• Experience of working in a 1st/2nd line application support in a technical environment
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• Experience of Information Technology Information Library (ITIL) best practice
• Experience of software evaluation, testing, implementation & deployment
• Experience of working with formal design and build documentation
To work as an Associate Product Support Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
• Think through issues logically and find appropriate solutions. Know when to refer issues to others.
• Plan ahead, and manage your workload. Follow policies, processes and regulations. Pay attention to detail and be conscientious.
• Explain information in a clear and logical way. Listen and take account of other people's views.
• Create and encourage positive working relationships.
• Promote new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs.
• Encourage and enable others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements.
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Engage with the customer to tease out requirements; respond proactively to service desk requests, within agreed or published SLA timescales.
• Maintain, monitor and support corporate COTS systems and developed software products by:
o Identifying the scale of a request for change, conferring or escalating where required.
o Keeping the customer informed of progress on service desk incidents and the project/product manager on project/product deliverables.
o Support the design and development of new products in accordance with HMGCC's procedures and policies.
o Ensure all work carried out is appropriately documented and stored to enable repetition and knowledge sharing/transfer opportunities.
o Ensure quality engineering practice and strive for excellence in product availability.
o Contribute to any appropriate reports at required frequency, as required.
• Identify and inform the project teams of issues related to that particular product/project including:
o Advising the project/product manager of progress or potential issues.
o Recommendations for architectural design decisions and/or changes.
o Bugs and issues found during product testing.
o Contributing to the resolution of problems.
• Maintain awareness of relevant technologies anticipating new trends in software arenas; disseminating information to team members using appropriate medium. This includes:
o New tools and techniques to help improve product support and the product development process.
o Looking ahead and anticipating changes in technology direction, evaluating those for which you consider HMGCC would make most effective use.
• Forge and maintain good working relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and OGDs.
• Work within defined and documented procedural operations.
• Work under supervision contributing to the support of corporate COTS systems and developed software products.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
Please note short-listing for this role will not be conducted until after the close date.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.