Graduate / Junior Embedded Software Engineer Ref. 692
with an added £1,300 annual skills allowance
Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
Looking to build a career in engineering that means something?
Able to read an electronic schematic and write code for microcontrollers?
You’ll bring your technical knowledge and ideas to create and maintain software for the custom designed electronics products we produce. It’s safe to say no two days will be the same. One day you could be producing code to introduce new features to a product, the next you could be collaborating with a team on designing the next set of products.
You’ll be interested in developing in your field and will be given all the support you need to build the career you want, whilst helping enable the UK Government to produce reliable and totally secure communication systems to protect national security. You may not know all the details yet, but you soon will.
We need you to already:
• Be able to design, develop and test embedded software in C or C++.
• Be able to understand electronic designs, particularly for digital logic and microcontroller circuits.
• Be able to develop embedded software to run in an RTOS, Linux or bare metal environment.
• Be familiar with debugging embedded software using laboratory test equipment.
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
• Relevant work experience, equivalent to/ or, a 2-1 or greater relevant Degree.
• Experience in real-time software or digital signal processing.
• Ability to understand and debug other’s software (and your own!).
• Knowledge of Networking and Communications (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, Protocol Buffers, application of encryption and compression).
• Experience of Unit Testing and Static Analysis.
• Knowledge of microcontroller architectures, especially ARM.
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who:
• Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills.
• Is enthused by working with other capable engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results.
• Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard.
• Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention.
• Can manage your own workload and adapts to changing demands on your time.
• Puts plans in place to make improvements.
• Works with customers to clearly understand their desired outcomes and expectations.
Putting your skills to use
You’ll have the opportunity to get involved in the full process. You’ll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. You can be creative, working in your own way towards delivery. All we ask for in return is that you have a willingness to learn.
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
1. Design, develop and document embedded software to the highest standards.
2. Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews.
3. Support products and investigate reported defects.
4. Contribute to project planning and meetings.
What we offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you’re asked to work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking.
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day.
• Relocation Package*.
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We foster an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
*if you are moving to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
We're HMGCC, Her Majesty's Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It's ok, we're used to it! That's because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We're not looking for any one type of person. We're looking for talent from all different background to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we're the right fit for you, please click here.
You’ll complete a short application form and an online programming test. This will assess your problem solving, debugging and diagnostics skills. If successful, you will be invited to interview.
Interviews are held in two rounds. Your first will be a technical interview; if you are successful at this stage, you will be invited back for an HR and Occupational Psychologist interview.
Discover more and apply by clicking 'apply' below.
Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response. Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.