Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer Ref.735
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday
Flexible working patterns will be considered
Are you a Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer looking for an opportunity to use a wide range of state-of-the-art manufacturing technology to produce high impact products to support our customers in keeping the nation safe?
The Special Projects Team are looking for a Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer to utilise their skills and knowledge to design and manufacture a wide range of bespoke parts and products. Using a combination of manual and CNC machines, you will be encouraged to innovate and create unique designs and solutions to meet our customer needs. Working from, 2D design, 3D models or from basic written/verbal instruction, using our well-equipped facility to work independently or within a team to realise the product.
More About You
You will already have:
• A mechanical engineering apprenticeship or equivalent experience.
• Experience of using CAD-CAM software (Visi, Alphacam).
• Experience of programming XYZ Toolroom CNC machines (PROTURN-PROTRAC).
• Mechanical assembly and fitting experience.
• A high level if IT competency
You will also have one or more of the following
• Toolmaking experience
• Knowledge of a wide range manufacturing techniques including Additive manufacturing, Wire erosion, Sheet metal fabrication, Vacuum casting.
Your Personal Skills
You will be the type of person who
• Enjoys coming up with creative solutions
• Wants to improve on yesterday – striving to be the best you can
• Makes mistakes. And learns from them
• Enjoys being part of a team. From offering to make the next tea round to managing a project with a team of developers
• Can go with the flow. Change is a big part of our organisation. You will be able to adapt with the support of your team and management
Putting your skills to use
Working within the projects team within our Manufacturing facility, you will use your skills and experience to.
• Machine low quantity parts to fine tolerances using a combination of manual and NC machines. Working from 2D drawing and CAD.
• Work directly with the customers to understand requirements and produce bespoke solutions to meet their needs.
• Provide a prototyping service for the design community working from written or verbal instruction to modify parts and trial ideas to overcome problems.
• Complete complex assemblies of components to a high standard ensuring quality throughout.
• Be responsible for ensuring the products you produce are to the required quality and timescale while supporting your team with peer-to-peer inspection.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service.
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year).
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you’re asked to work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive.
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
• On site nursery (subject to availability).
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
• Free parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ+ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.
We’re HMGCC, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre. You may not have heard of us before. It’s OK, we’re used to it! That’s because our customers are other UK Government Departments. Using our collective expertise, we develop communication systems for our customers that are innovative, reliable and totally secure to protect national security at home and overseas.
We invest in our people, not only with training but also support throughout your career with us; to allow you to reach your full potential at work, as well as enjoy the work/life balance many aspire to.
To find out more about us and if we’re right for you, please click here.
Inclusion & Diversity really matters to us. It's not just about numbers or visible differences.
HMGCC are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and those with disabilities or who are neurodiverse.
We’re not looking for any one type of person. We’re looking for talent from all different backgrounds to join our organisation, where we genuinely respect and value each other's differences, as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident - Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
*if you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.